Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Texasfishenthusiast said:
Well I just got back from Home Depot and Lowes. I saw the GE I at both places. (blue label, and said kitchen and bath, or something real similar) It said mildew resistant on the label. Also on the back in all the fine print, it said not for use on food surfaces. Kinda makes me wonder.

So do they make more than one kind of GE I :!:
Yes, Silicone I for windows and doors. If it says "tub and tile" or "kitchen and bath", it probably has mildewcide.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Texasfishenthusiast said:
Well I just got back from Home Depot and Lowes. I saw the GE I at both places. (blue label, and said kitchen and bath, or something real similar) It said mildew resistant on the label. Also on the back in all the fine print, it said not for use on food surfaces. Kinda makes me wonder.

So do they make more than one kind of GE I :!:
Yes, Silicone I for windows and doors. If it says "tub and tile" or "kitchen and bath", it probably has mildewcide.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
For the two post above, I don't believe Silicone I comes in black anymore. There is a series 1200 GE industrial silicone that comes in black, and is stronger than Silicone I.
Secondly, you don't use silicone on acrylic tanks to seal them. They are sealed by the welding process of building them. Silicone does not stick to acrylic the way it does to glass.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Phantasmal said:
ok, here goes...i just bought 2 tubes of the GE Silicone I from the De-pot in Terrel, Tx. (I live down the street from there) They had three cases of the clear silicone for Windows & Doors. (White and Blue tube) After reading the entire tube twice, I have not found anything that refers to it being Mildew Resistant or containing any mildewcides or such. My only worry is down at the bottom of the "Instructions For Use" it says, "NOT FOR: Surfaces that will exceed 400*F(205*C), conditions where FDA compliance is necessary, or AQUARIUMS."

Is this still ok to use even though it states not to use it for tanks?? I'd post a pic but i can't get the the text to come out clearly.
It has said that on the tube for quite some time, but lots of people have used it safely. There is a story circulating that GE manufactures the AGA silicone, so no longer recommend it for aquariums. The GE Silicone I for windows and doors does not have mildewcide. I jave been using Mastercraft, the house brand for Canadian Tire. The tube is remarkably similar to the GE I tube, but says ideal for aquariums. It seems Mastercraft is being discontinued, as they now carry GE I.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Emzz said:
http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=6156&BASE

GE1 Silicone window&door- says "this product is not recommended for below water line"..????
Since the product is sold as a caulk rather than an aquarium adhesive, the "below water line" warning has to do with that not when used to build or seal an aquarium. Silicone was not designed as an aquarium adhesive. It's use for building tanks came from someone who was using it for something else and then came up with the idea of trying it to glue glass together, and thus the all glass tank was born.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
If you want extra strength, use GE1200 series silicone. It is designed for construction use and is safe for fish. rumor has it that this is the preferred material used by manufacturers for large tanks.When you use thicker glass, you will get a stronger joint because there is more silicone between the 2 pieces.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Since tank manufacturers use the acetic cure version, that is good enough for me. Up here there are a few house brands that state they are "ideal for aquariums" on the label. That is what I normally use, and they are marginally cheaper than the GE. However, if I was building a large tank, I would use the GE 1200 series, for it's extra strength.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Ptyochromis said:
I got a tube of GE silicone I window and door and proceeded to patch a 10g an a 46bow front. After its all said and done I read on the back in the smallest print ever "not for use below water level" ಠ_ಠ. Some people say safe, others say not safe. I guess I'll fill up the 10 and stick a tetra in it and see if it dies or not lol. How long should it take before I see death/sickness from whatever malicious chemicals may be in it?
The warning about not using below water is if used it as a caulk. It isn't marketed for aquariums.Unless something has changed, GE Silicone I for Windows and Doors, contains no mildewcides, and is safe.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
You may have trouble finding the GE 1200, as it is normally only sold in bulk packs. It is usually sold in places that supply trades rather than retail. If you cab find a jobber who breaks up the pack, it should be only a little more than Silicone I. As far as the interior fillet goes, it probably doesn't matter if you use Silicone I or GE 1200. For the butt joints, the stronger silicone is probably better, because the glass is not as thick as it once was, so the bonding area is less than tanks built 40 years ago.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts