Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
I used GE Silicone I from Lowes to glue my rocks together, cured for 3-4 days, added water. All good for 3 days, until I started fishless bio cycling with household ammonia. I'm at < 1ppm Ammonia, but now I see shedding from the silcone joints on some of the rocks. It took a full day to start doing it, fine pieces on silicone skin coming off of the silicone joints on rocks.

On my Ammonia Alert, I'm on light blue (0.2ppm).

Help! So, maybe I didn't let in cure long enough? Or, take it all apart and do it with the proper silicone? Maybe I added a little too much ammonia? It seems to be shedding most where I added the ammonia. I'm seriously bummed!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I think the issue is/was that I did not dilute the ammonia and put it in right over the outcrop of rocks, and so it got a higher dose and started to break down some of the silicone. The other outcrops are fine.

I took out the silicone'd rocks and stripped the tank down, rinse the filters, and have started over without rocks or gravel/sand. I will cycle the tank with feeder goldfish, re-think the rocks, maybe use them, or not. I rinsed off the one outcrop and it seems fine (now).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts