Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I felt I needed to share this...

So last night I installed a prefilter on the intake of my fluvial FX6 in hopes to help with the bio load and to also be able to quickly cycle a new tank by throwing the intake sponge in the new tank. It fit loosely on the intake hose but didn't fall off when the filter was running to I didn't think anything of it. Fast forward to this morning I wake up to find my intake sponge floating around the tank and two of my fish missing...(I forgot about the self priming every 6 hours when the filter shuts down for a minute to release trapped air. The loss of suction cause the sponge to fall right off the hose..) Panic'd I quickly pulled my fx6 from under my tank and tore it apart only to lift the media baskets and find my two guys swimming around in the bottom of the canister.. THEY WERE TOTALLY FINE... I couldn't believe it, I thought for sure I would find two dead fish inside. So today I'm grateful they survived that crazy ride. Also I wrapped the intake tube in some electrical tape for a much tighter fit so that will never happen again... Im still in awe that that was even possible. WHAT A DAY...

·
Registered
207 Posts
Wow, what a scare ! About the electrical tape, isn't there a possibility the glue on the tape will eventually leak in the tank and poison your fish ? Maybe using aquarium glue with a bit of sponge would be safer ?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thats a good point, I believe as long as the tape doesn't fall into the tank it should be safe for the fish however it is a temporary solution until I clean the filter next and can figure out a more permeant solution. To my knowledge the adhesive on the tape will not dissolve into the water however if it fell off and they fish tried to eat it that could cause some issues. My plan is to silicone the intake to the rubber hose mount so I can easily remove it to perform basic maintenance.

·
2,095 Posts
you might use a zip tie rather than the tape. would probably be more effective, with less downside potential.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.