Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two fx5 canisters. Same media in both and the same age (about 4 years old).

One of them has a really low volume of water its moving. I tried cleaning it out really well, and even removing some of the media to make sure it wasn't getting clogged.

Any ideas? I am thinking I may need to replace the impeller or something, but I have never taken one of these apart.

Any help or suggestions are welcomed.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Going through the same thing with my 405. Hoping to get my new impeller today for it and will update you on if it was fix for me or not.

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Heyguy74 said:
Try running it without the media. Check the hose ect to make sure there are no clogs, etc.
Its running with only the coarse sponges right now. That is practically empty.

I checked all the hoses and connections... look fine.

No noises or air. It seems to be running perfectly except that the water comes out at about 1/2 the force it should.

@xxbenjamminxx
GL with the install. Hopefully it fixes your problem. Keep me posted for sure! Thanks bro!

·
Super Moderator
1,837 Posts
Check if the long tube that connects to the filter lid has come loose. What about any buildup in the hoses or intake strainer. Also check if anything might have gotten stuck in the ball valves.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
frank1rizzo said:
Heyguy74 said:
Try running it without the media. Check the hose ect to make sure there are no clogs, etc.
Its running with only the coarse sponges right now. That is practically empty.

I checked all the hoses and connections... look fine.

No noises or air. It seems to be running perfectly except that the water comes out at about 1/2 the force it should.

@xxbenjamminxx
GL with the install. Hopefully it fixes your problem. Keep me posted for sure! Thanks bro!
Yup same thing here, I even replaced the hoses with clear ones so i could visually see that there wasnt any obstructions and ran without any media except the sponges with the same thing. I know there isnt any air trapped in the canister as I shook it and everything else to get all the tiniest of bubbles out of it.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Well still waiting for my impeller. Didnt come today and am hoping that it comes tomorrow. I hate waiting for stuff! lol :x Will keep ya posted on whether it fixes it or not.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
@frank: Got my impeller today and installed it while doing a water change so the spray bar was up out of the water. After putting it in and plugging it in I had water shooting 2/3 the way across my 75 from the left side to the right. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: So Im gonna have to say that was the cause of my problem. The one I have was the one sent from Hagen (still havent gotten the one I ordered yet) but still gonna keep the other to have as a backup just incase. For 11.99 its worth it for piece of mind.

Good Luck and hope you have some similar luck!!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts