Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered a fx5 it should be here tomorrow , and Im wondering what media I will need to run it ..It will be filtering a 100gal with 5 8inch Birchirs and 5 5inch eartheaters so far.. thanks ahead of time wenndellm

·
Registered
162 Posts
I have one and just use the standard sponge filters that it comes with and then stuff all 3 baskets full of bio-media. I haven't really noticed or felt the need for adding anything else.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Ditto, except that I add some cut to size poly quilt batting on the outside of the perimeter sponges. This helps to pick up even more fine debris.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Using an fx5 here as well (nice filter btw). Bottom two trays have all biomax. Top tray has single layer of biomax below a light layer of polyfill batting. All three trays have the sponges on the perimeter. In all, I think I've used 6 boxes of Biomax.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Benaiah said:
Using an fx5 here as well (nice filter btw). Bottom two trays have all biomax. Top tray has single layer of biomax below a light layer of polyfill batting. All three trays have the sponges on the perimeter. In all, I think I've used 6 boxes of Biomax.
Same set up here and really like the filter.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
And to add, you really don't need anything else. Carbon is pretty much useless unless you are removing medications that you dosed in your tank. Ammonia removing media is also not needed unless you have an emergency. The nitrogen cycle takes care of removing ammonia. Keeping it simple seems to work the best. I also found that the Fluval round media pads (Blue and white) clog up fairly quickly so I don't use them anymore. Quilt batting (filter floss) works just as well and is a lot cheaper.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
This filter is a beast . I'm set up the same as everyone else. No carbon or ammonia remover. Just biomax and quilt batting. :thumb:

·
Registered
12 Posts
I use pot scrubbers in my bottom 2 baskets in my top basket i have 2 units of chemi-pure with filter floss on top of that. I clean it every two months mostly just to change the floss and have never had any problems with it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts