Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I am setting up my Fx5 today for my 135g mbuna tank, and I was wondering what media do most of you guys have or recomend? I would like to use some chemical media to keep the water really clear. I will do my weekley water changes and I will soon purchase a aquaclear 110 to do more of the mechanical filteration. Please give me some ideas in each basket which would optimize my fluval. Thanks

·
Registered
246 Posts
Not sure what you mean by "chemical media". I run my FX5 with scrubbies, ceramics and BioMax in the bottom. I also put a large quantity of filter wool in the bottom as well and the water is crystal clear. I have put Carbon in there as well as phosphate remover, but as a temporary addition.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Britnick said:
Not sure what you mean by "chemical media".
I guessing he means things like phosphate and nitrate removers.

What i have done is for my 150gal is to have FX full of biomax and the foam on the outside for michanical and bio media. And to purchase a Fluval 205 which just has Rowaphos phosphate remover and JBL NitratEx - nitrate remover in. I sware by this stuff its fantastic. the reason why i didnt put it in the FX5 is the fact it was a pain to keep taking it in and out every other month where the 205 is so light.

With 2 oscars, big plec, giant danios and a pictus it keeps my water to 10ppm nitrate and phosphate to 0.1, low water changes and the lack of alge is wonderfull.

We also have a system with rechargin nitrate remover, this can be done using salt and alot of time. Both products usally lasts be around 2 months before having to remover the filter.

Hope this helps with your choice.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help guys, I ended up just puting biomax at the bottom leaveing the middle tray empty for now since I will clean the filter in 2 weeks or so since I just set my tank up. But the bio will not get touched ofcourse, and at the top I just put the fluval blue pad and under it the white pad. I know in time I will come up with better ideas and with the help and the search function which I clearly didnt use,lol I will get better. Thanks

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Your FX5 should handle the mechanical filtration just fine. I have a 125 and it does great (except when I over-feed).

I have both middle & bottom full of matrix.

top is scrubbie + Fluval Pre-filter + Carbon.
middle also has a small sack of purigen.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Fx5's filter top to bottom, mine are setup as follows... top tray- carbon (changed approx. every 5 weeks) and filter pad (i buy the pads in large swaths and cut to size), middle- mesh bags full of crushed coral and filter pad, bottom- fluval biomax and polishing pad. I get great results, crystal clear water and lots of fry.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts