Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey...I just picked up this filter from a friend of a friend...I realize the centre chambers are for the bio side of the filtration..but would it do any harm to add some mechanical pads...some say down the road when they clog up...the pump is starved of water, causing tiny air bubbles to enter the tank. What would you recommend...Thanks for any replies. p.s. great site

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
You can, but it shouldn't have any air issues regardless. Quite a few will put a fine filter pad at the bottom.

I just did a 50% WC on my 125 and the FX5 was blowing bubbles. A few unplug/replug cleared it up. (I ooopsed and when I was draining took the intake side off, so it was purging the filter instead of draining the tank).

Give it 48 hours before taking it apart though. It shuts off every 24 hours for 2 minutes to get air out of the system.

·
Registered
803 Posts
I put quilt batting on top of the media in the top basket. That way it is easy to get to without taking the whole filter apart. I put bio media in all three baskets with the batting on top of the top basket. When the flow out of the output gets pretty low, I change the quilt batting. I have on occasion left it in too long and you get micro bubbles. Changing the batting makes them go away.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Putting it on top would certainly make it much easier to get to!

I'll probably swap that around next time I open it up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts