Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen the articles online and even a couple videos and this seems like a good idea. Has anyone had one for a while and do you still prefer it over the stock outlet setup? Any nifty new design ideas besides what the easily found build thread shows?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the links! I appreciate the help. I'll be making a 3' spraybar I think. The stock outlets just don't seem sufficient to me for a 6 foot tank. I guess I'll just have to play with the number and size of holes.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Start drilling holes at the END of the spray bar. Holes close to where it enters the tank will get the majority of water while the ones near the end get a little less. I had to go back and seal up a couple of them. You will need more holes than you think, at least I did. 36 0.25" holes in 4 feet of 3/4" pvc works perfect for a 1300gph pump at 2feet of head.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
It doesn't really matter which end you start from. Just start off with small holes and test. If bigger holes are needed then you can just simply switch bits. Remember you can still drill at an angle so you can direct the flow of the water.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea, I was actually considering modifying the normal water in at the end design with a split design using a Tee in the middle. It might make it flow a little more evenly that way. Plus hole sizes can be modified to help with that too.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
If you look at the last link I made one out of three quarter adapters and some scrap pvc. You gonna need to replace the hose as well. I use clear so I can see the gunk build up.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Flippercon, I saw your rig. It looks pretty cool. Do you think you lose any flow with all the 90s? I was thinking of maybe just going up and over the tank like the normal design and ending it in a Tee instead of an Elbow. I assume you did yours to straddle the center brace right? I wonder how my tank will be braced, one center or two in thirds. Hmmm... Guess I'll wait and see when I pick it up Friday.

I have to admit I'll be a little bummed when this tank is up, running and filled with fish. I'm having a great time doing all the planning. It's essentially what I do at work (project manager/designer) but it's a lot more fun when it's something I want for myself.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I did lose some I believe but it did make it through the rig and across the top of the whole tank. I removed all power heads and air stones after this was made. Surface agitation is plenty and way more then enough oxygen in the water.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Oh and what you said about using tubing and bending around instead of hard elbows, well I tried it and the tubing would kink and didn't fit well in the supplied anchors they provide. If you do go this route and it is successful please post your findings.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh, no. I meant go up over the edge of the tank with PVC (two elbows a straight piece and then instead of going into an elbow then the spray bar, going into a tee and having the spray bar come out both sides. Basically doing exactly what yours did but with less fittings.

I imagine kinking, even with the supplied hose clips, is why they use the ribbed tubing instead of the normal vinyl tubing.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
You know a second set of eyes is always better. I see the logic now. I might have to think this one over. I think I went this route due to stability and the center brace. The fx5 puts out some flow so I am certain what you make will work ,as long as it is water tight.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
LOL, yea it always helps to have someone else check your work. But there's nothing wrong with yours and if it straddles the center brace and is stable then it serves your application just fine.

Incidentally, the filter arrived yesterday (got a great deal on it from an unlikely source) and it is *huge*. hehehe I can't wait to get it set up. Looks like a trip to the hardware store for PVC is in order.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.