Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just hooked up my FX5 to my 65 gallon today. (already established tank ) I’ve been dragging setting up my 150 for most of 2010 due to money. Looks like in 3 weeks to a month I will finally get it set up. I hooked up the FX5 today in hopes off building up the bacteria in the filter/media , so when I move it to the 150 I don’t have to wait as long for it to cycle . There is a fish show coming up on 2/27 and I want to completely stock the 150 at that time. Of course I will test my water before hand , but I was wondering if you guys have any tips to help me out? ( regarding the FX5 and moving to the 150 in a month or so) I also plan on adding some tank water and rocks from the 65 when its time to move the filter.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
I would wait until the 1st of Feb, move filter and rocks, then start a fishless cycle. With all that seeding, it should cycle in a week or 10 days at most. You'll make the 27th easily. You could even run the filter until about 2/7, then move it. I'd just plan to move it first week of Feb on a convenient day. I'd take some media from the established filter and add it to the FX5 now. Add it at the point where the water first enters the biomedia or biomedia chamber. Or just lay it on top of the biomedia. Not sure how it's laid out.

Planning ahead, way to go. :thumb:

·
Registered
453 Posts
I agree with Prov356's method - get some bacteria going as you are now, move the filter and start adding ammonia around 2/1/10. Do a big water change before the show and then after you add the fish feed carefully while monitoring ammonia and nitrite. You should be good. You could also add some gravel from the 65 to the 150 once you add the fish or when you move the filter on 2/1/10 and start adding ammonia.

Nice that you are planning ahead!

·
Registered
5 Posts
More info on the said fish show in chicago on 2/27.

Will you be able to purchase fish at this show to take home? Is it open to the public? What time? Location?

I'm extremely interested.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts