Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to figure out what is growing on some of my rocks and plants - they look like fuzzy little black balls - I have taken the rocks out of the tank and scrubbed them clean - the balls stick to the rock like they are stuck with glue.

Also appeared on the stems of my fake Hairgrass plant - any ideas ? tank is otherwise clean - many rocks have a nice green sheen of algae growth on them - sunlight is very limited in these tanks. Just wondering....ideas ...

·
Registered
89 Posts
The word "fuzzy" conjures up two images: filamentous algae, or fungus. Most filamentous algae tends to be green, black suggests fungus.

What's in your tank? If you have cherry barbs, or danios, they scatter eggs and those eggs may be decaying. (Likewise, a cichlid spawn might not get picked up, and decay).

Honestly, that's all guesswork! What's your tank population?

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well that tank is a bit overcrowded - 4 Julie Transcriptus, Multie Colony, 5 cyps, pleco , 2 Calvus and 1 comp.
Going to thin the herd out this weekend. Tank is well filtered - Bio Wheel 350, AC 70 and Marineland 50 I think - vacumn pretty regularly...

·
Super Moderator
40,508 Posts
I was thinking black brush algae too. Reduce lights. Reduce nitrates in water. Vacuum substrate and clean filters to remove nitrate sources. Feed sparingly.

When I have a big infestation, I remove the rocks and scrub or power wash them to get a fresh start.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts