Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all im having trouble diagnosing whats wrong with my Prized Acei, he recieved what i thought was a mouth injury from fighting a few weeks back However it hasnt healed and looks a little bigger, Yday i noticed what looks like a Fluffy pink wart like thing on his Fin close to his body, the same has happened to the mouth injury too, I was thinking of treating the tank with Melafix But not sure if its Fungal or Bacterial? have been Googling lots and cant seem to find out what it is? its not white and cottony like most funal pictures suggest its more pink and fluffy with red bits in? id be greatful for any help thanks oh and not sure if this makes any difference but the tank was moved 3 weeks ago but everything seems to be settled now thanks

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
Hard to say- can you post a picture? It may make sense for you to treat with both melafix and pimafix. Read both labels and see what you think.

Also- the very best thing for either condition is clean water. Make sure your nitrates are under 10ppm, which may mean doing several large water changes over the next few days.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey thanks for the reply, i am having trouble trying to picture it as it doesnt show properly on the pics, *** decided to go with Pimafix as it says its good for both fungal and Bacterial although i suspect it is fungal, *** brought some aquarium salt too which i just added at the same time, hope this works if not i will probably be back next week buying the melafix, should i do water changes aswell or just leave it for a week whilst there under treatment? I did a 30% water change 2 days ago as i do every week and clean my media every other week its a 48 Gallon tank although nearer 40 gallons taking into account my massive amount of rocks thanks

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
managed to upload a pic this morning, so far the Pimafix hasnt really done anything but its only day 2, still really hard to see on a piccie but maybe its enough for someone to give me a little more guidence, *** noticed since i added the salt my bubbles have gone really tiny that come of my airstones, just something random i thought id share with you :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Am on day 3 of treatment now and theres still no improvement should i try something else? am i being impatient or should i have seen an improvement by now? its not getting any worse just now getting any better either thanks

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
I'd continue with what you're doing, keep up on regular water changes to keep the water clean.
Most fish injuries will heal on their own without any medication so long as the water is clean and low on nitrates.

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
If it's not getting worse, then I recommend sticking to your current treatment plan. What is the nitrate concentration in your tank?

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Any update on the fish. I have a fish with the same symptoms but just on the fins. The spot will be white and then look like it view away with a pink like wound. The next day it is back. I have done heat and salt for 10 days thinking it was ick. No dice. Did proper wcs and carbon just to ne safe and proceeded to melafix. Still no dice. I'm thinking about melafix but not to sure .

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry only just found my way around this site enough to find all my threads in one place :) I seem to medicate and it rids the symptoms but then they soon reappear again :-? he has it now on both of his fins close to the body, he still swims and acts normally so dont think its bothering him that much just looks unsightly, hes a very old fish and i think it may be a Bloodworm Disease from spending hours looking on websites but im still not sure :-? if it is theres no known cure :( *** currently got him in a hospital tank and using good old fashioned meth blue (for its fungal and antiseptic properties) and doing daily 25% water changes, if you have had any joy with meds let me know and i will try it also, thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts