Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2 x OB Peacocks 2"
2 x Otopharynx Lithobates 1.5"
1 x Nimbochromis Venesuts 4-5"
1 x Nimbochromis Livingstonii 3"
1 x Aulonocara Jacobfreibergi Swallowtail 4-5"
1 x German Red Peacock 3.5"
1 x Aulonocara Nyassae 4"

Taking into consideration the maximum size of these fish and that my tank is 120 gallon (5 ft.) can I add more fish? Around how many?

·
Registered
843 Posts
Are you going for all male? Otherwise, I think you have too many species, even for a 5ft long tank. . . If you're going all male, you should remove an OB peacock, one of the lithobates, and then add a bunch more--one of each species. Aim for no females--if you have even one it'll cause an uproar in the tank.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
toume said:
Are you going for all male? Otherwise, I think you have too many species, even for a 5ft long tank. . . If you're going all male, you should remove an OB peacock, one of the lithobates, and then add a bunch more--one of each species. Aim for no females--if you have even one it'll cause an uproar in the tank.
Yes, I'm going for all male. The lithobates are really peaceful, but one of the OB is chasing almost everybody around, even a livingstonii that's bigger than him, but this behavior started about a week or two ago.

With the fish I have, once they grow, and if they grow to their maximum size, that I exaggerated a bit just to be sure, it came out to 65 inches of fish in a 120 gallon.

The bacteria is pretty good at handling the bioload and the filtration is done by a wet/dry sump.

I know we cannot go for the 1 inch of fish per gallon rule because it depends on the type of fish, filtration, length of the tank, etc. etc. but it's still a good base to know where you stand.

I was thinking about adding a blue dolphin, a Malawi eel (if I find one), a catfish from Malawi, and maybe some snails. Then in the future I probably add some plants that are compatible with cichlids such as Java Ferns, Vallisneria Spiralis or Anubias. My fish tank looks a little empty right now because I just have 9 fish that are still under 5" (3 in Avg.), sand and rocks.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
This is a different topic, but how are the fish? Did your ich treatment work?

You could add a few more fish in the tank. The Dolphin will eventually out grow the tank, as well as the Livingstonii and Venustus; 6' tank is best, as I'm sure you know. HOWEVER, the dolphin is really slow growing so it could be okay for the time being. Just be prepared in the future. :thumb:

Also, if you're going for all male and want to add more fish, get rid of the duplicates, (OB and Z-rock) as Toume suggested.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, the Ich treatment worked, or it's working! Thanks for asking and for your help. I'm at day 6, and I will conclude the treatment on the 16th, which would be 10 days. All of them are acting normal now, and I have not seen any one flashing or staying still for long periods of times, all of them are swimming, eating, and with their fins extended, so I think that's a good sign. Also, I have not seen any more white dots or other signs of Ich.

Would adding more Lithobates and OB have the same effect as removing one of them?

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
40,535 Posts
fddlss said:
Would adding more Lithobates and OB have the same effect as removing one of them
No because then either you would have females or you would have even more multiple males. Either way something to be avoided in an all-male tank.

·
Registered
843 Posts
I would remove the more aggressive OB. Your other fish might not color up if it keeps causing trouble. As far as the lithobates. . .you could keep two and see how it goes, just make sure neither is female. Most likely, the bigger/more dominant of the two will pick on the other (which means it'll never grow as big or look as nice <-in general).

Making sure to have no dups and only males, if you have 7 species now (in a 5ft), you could maybe double the number. As long as you don't get too many BIG species (like the dolphin).

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The lithobates are very peaceful towards each other and in general with everybody in the tank. There's one that's growing faster than the other one, but I've never seen him or her picking on the other one. I'm not sure if they are male or female because they are too small still. As far as the OBs, one of them is picking on the livingstonni and the other OB, and sometimes the bigger one of the lithobates. He's not continuosly picking on them, but he does it pretty often, you know what the problem is? That that fish is my GFs favorite...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.