Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So *** got a 55g tank that has been up and running for several months now. Problem is i am in a second floor apartment and the floor is not level. I have the tank up against an exterior wall so im not worried about floor strength. What i AM worried about is the tank strength. With the tank almost full and using the black rim as my guide i have noticed that its about a 1/8th - 1/4" slope. So i need to figure out a way to jack up the stand and shim it while its has fish in there.

Now i have come up with a way to jack up the stand and have some shims but my question is, will the stand end up bowing under the weight of the aquarium? Will i have to eventually run shims the whole length of the stand or will i be alright propping up just one end?

Please respond i plan on tackling this tonight!!!

·
Registered
166 Posts
well, i had this issue with 2 of my tanks before.... i would take out as much of the water you possibly can.... the more weight = more headache and possibility to have an accident occur. as long as you shim the bottom of the tank STAND and not the tank itself.... you should be fine shimming the one side.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I used to have a 55g in a 3rd floor apartment, on the counder top, just behind the sink. I used spare change to shim it up about 3/8 of an inch. Of cours, remove as much water as possible first. Stack the shims under the plastic framed edge which supports the weight of the tank. 6" spacing worked for me. Good luck :thumb:

·
Registered
371 Posts
I have a 75g that has about the same amount of slope and has been setup for over 4 years with no problems and I've never worried about it. Tanks, stands, and floors are stronger than we give them credit for, even if slightly out of whack. :)

·
Registered
250 Posts
bibbs68 said:
I have a 75g that has about the same amount of slope and has been setup for over 4 years with no problems and I've never worried about it. Tanks, stands, and floors are stronger than we give them credit for, even if slightly out of whack. :)
Slope is not a huge concern, but bowing or twisting is. Bottom line is, the things are meant to be level, and water is heavy. I would take the time to get it right and sleep soundly at night.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Unlevel tanks don't fail because they're not level, but they can fail if the corners aren't supported fully. That's the bowing and twisting that fish_addiction is referring to. I would only do this if you could empty the tank completely so you could see if it sat solidly on all corners when empty. This really should have been done when setting up. If you did check that, then I'd leave it alone, it'll be fine. If you didn't, then it becomes a tougher call. How's your renter's insurance? :)

·
Registered
303 Posts
I made a DIY stand years ago and leveled it nice and all but the tank (black plastic) on bottom was not level from facory. It was only off by just over an 1/8" so I trimmed a thin strip of material off the dark, black, copper pipe insulation and set it under the entire lip. Worked perfect, no problems since been 2001.

·
Registered
4 Posts
fish_addiction said:
I used to have a 55g in a 3rd floor apartment, on the counder top, just behind the sink. I used spare change to shim it up about 3/8 of an inch. Of cours, remove as much water as possible first. Stack the shims under the plastic framed edge which supports the weight of the tank. 6" spacing worked for me. Good luck :thumb:
I am in an apartment right now, was your 55G on the counertop that divides the kitchen area from the living/dining areas? This is the spot I can put a tank right now & am worried about the weight of the tank on this structure. Your input would be insightful.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.