Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know the location of the fuelleborni in the pic below?

They are not of my fuelleborni but mine look identical with
the exception of the olive coloured one.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I have some like that. Not sure of the collection point. If they are the same as mine, the male in the bottom right corner is sub-dominant to the alpha male (blue in back). If the blue male were removed, the guy in the bottom right would assume the blue coloration.

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
The tough thing with Lab. Fuelleborni is that there are over 10 collection sites for the species and many of them look pretty close. Good luck!

·
Registered
388 Posts
10?!?!?! :eek:

Try 35 and counting, my fellow cichlid lover.

ASsk the people who sold them to you. If they cannot say, stop buying fish from people that do not know their own hobby.

OB females, typical. No clue there.
Male, barred, slight blue ground color, red dorsal with a blue irridescent submarginal band.
Will be back later, gotta go investigate.

Hey, Kanorin, ready to ship those JewelSpots?!?!?

·
Registered
388 Posts
It's either, IMO, a Z-Rock, Makanjilla, or Chinyankwazi.
Are you able to post a photo of yours?!

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
What camera did you buy? Pics look great..

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Good looking fish but not sure the location. I can look in my book when i get home but as of now all i can say is it isnt from katale.

It almost looks like its a little OB. Not sure though. If it is a marmalade cat it will be even harder to tell the location.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What camera did you buy? Pics look great..
Thanks, it's a Canon IXUS105IS.

I was actually surprised at the quality myself because the camera isn't that expensive at all.

Good looking fish but not sure the location. I can look in my book when i get home but as of now all i can say is it isnt from katale.

It almost looks like its a little OB. Not sure though. If it is a marmalade cat it will be even harder to tell the location.
The yellow one is female (if thats what your were referring to by marmalade cat). Could they
be Maisoni Reef or Makanjila? - I had a quick look through the species profiles on this site.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
No, marmalade cat just means a male OB. It looked like your male had some red blocthces on his stomach (second pic). Also I looked in my malawi cichlid book and your fish doesn't look like any of the collection points pictured for fuelleborni (12 pictured). Either its not listed or its a hybrid. Either way it is a great looking cichlid!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just got confirmation from my LFS guy that the Fuellebornii(?) pictured
above are Nakantenga Island.

I'm not sure if I'm able to but I'll try and get it listed in the species profile
section of this site for future reference. If any of you mods know how shoot
us a PM.

·
Registered
100 Posts
In Australia it is rare to get collection points named. Its not a matter of not knowing their hobby, its just that not many Malawi Cichlids are allowed to be imported.

That is a nice group of fish and would be considered quite a prize by many Aussie aquarists.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts