Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, so I moved my female today, 10 days after the spawning, and as soon as I did she started to spit out the fry. I think she is picking back up some of them. But for the ones that she might miss, umm the still have the yolk sacs, but theyre kinda moving around... is there anything that i should do now, or should i just watch them until the momma finally spits them all out?

·
Registered
17 Posts
id go with nature's laws... let momma fish do her thing, even if she is bad at it.... she'll get more experience eventually

·
Registered
33 Posts
How many and what other fish are in your tank, the ones that got away from mom will quickly become fish food. you will need a breeding trap or another tank if you want to keep them, put the holding mom in a breeding trap if thats your best option. the average holding term is around 21-28 days which may give you some time to prepare. good luck :)

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
It sounds like Amaykayov already moved mom to a holding tank. Don't worry about those fry - mom will probably pick them up. If she doesn't, as long as the fry can kind of wriggle around a little bit, they should be ok even outside of momma's mouth.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
If you want to keep them and momma's not doing her job right, invest in an egg tumbler. If you don't really care either way, I'm sure your other adults will love the snack ;)

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
haha im trying to keep the fry. This is the third batch from her, but i lost the second batch, and about half of the first because I didnt know that albinos were typically weaker than their "normal" brothers and sisters... But yea, she is in a 10 gal by herself, no light, no food, and a hollow log decoration for her to hide in if she wants

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
omg, i hate making the little mistakes, i forgot to add the heater to the fry tank, and somehow one of the fry were left in the container i transported them in... but it is still alive. I just put a heater in the fry tank, and hopefully everything goes alright...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts