Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a guy in my area that actually has some Malawis for sale (somewhat rare in my neck of the woods), and I'm wanting his 2.5" fryeri male and his pair of labeotropheus trewavase. The fryeri would go in my current all male (excepting my quintet of yellow labs) hap/peacock tank.

The 75 currently houses:

Peacocks
Cobue
Baenschi
Erueka Red
Walteri
German Red
Ngara Flametail

Haps
Otopharynx Lithobates z rock
Azures

And 5 yellow labs

Would the fryeri likely have any issues with the current inhabitants, or with a red empress, lwanda, placidochromos electra, or copadichromis trewavase (other fish I would like to get for this tank(?

And if I bought the red top trewavase pair, would they clash with my demasoni? I don't know if you would call the male trewavase blue-barred or just blue.

·
Registered
9,061 Posts
Not clear... do you have two tanks here?

Yes, the Fryeri could have issues. Or not. Some males will end up with more color than the others. Impossible to avoid issues in such a set up. The Otopharynx Lithobates Z rock male color might suffer possibly. Depends on which fish you want to shine the most. Add the Fryeri if you want, they keep great color.

There is no major reason why the Trewavasae would clash with the Demasoni, go for it. Except Trewavasae, like all endemic Malawi cichlids are not pairing fish. You should get more than one female.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I currently have an Iceberg Fryeri, Z-Rock Litho, Maylandi Peacock and the Copadichromis Trewavasae in a 75 along with a 3 other peacocks and 7 larger haps. They all have nice colours and continue to colour up as time passes even though they have similar features (all crested). My z-rock will probably never fully lose his spots but he still has fantastic colours and they only ever have full potential with females present (just like every other fish)

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
I'll second what noki said.

For additions, I would lean towards the placidochromos electra and copadichromis trewavase first as the next two in line, followed by the lwanda (as I question how well he and the Walteri will like each other). I would be very hesitant with the Red Empress as they get a bit large for a 75 and can be pretty spunky.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, there are two tanks. A 75 and a 35 (soon to be upgraded to a 40 long).

I know that a pair is not the best for the L. Trewavase, or any Malawi for that matter, but that is all he has. I'd have to hope for fry or buy at least a couple more females. . . if I could find some.

I would love to get the electra, more even than the fryeri, but I have difficulty, as I've said, finding Malawis.

I, too, worry about the Lwanda and the Walteri. I definitely want to give it a try, and almost acquired a nice Lwanda a while back, but the seller decided to keep it :(

The empress I could probably get, and I do want to upgrade to a 180 some day, but I know it is best to wait till you have the tank, then get the fish.

Maybe I'll try the above fish, and see how it goes. I have no qualms with getting rid of them if it fails. Got a spare 20 L and a 10 I could set up for struggling fish.

·
Super Moderator
40,482 Posts
I don't think I would put labeos in a 35G and maybe not even in a 40G long.

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
DJRansome said:
I don't think I would put labeos in a 35G and maybe not even in a 40G long.
Agree, unless it was just for growout until about 2 inches. Beyond that and the females would get harassed by the male and not have enough room to avoid him.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I guess he got rid of the female L. trewavase. The male is about 2 inches right now. I was wondering if the 40 long would be big enough. You don't think 48 x 12 is a big enough footprint for the trewavase?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts