Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so after 2 months of now breeding my S. Fryeri just did today. I had 1m/3f in a 3 foot breeding tank and kept the water changes pristine...filter too. I also fed them frozen krill and mysis and Nls. I decided to see what would happen if I let the water go 2-3 weeks, the filter was moving slow as well and I let the water level drop 3-4 inches down the tank. this morning i was in a rush and didn't feed them and presto.

so it's sometimes a change for the negative that can spur breeding....or maybe they would have anyways, theres no control but there you go.

·
Registered
501 Posts
fish are like people after a while u get used to it and deal with it just like if u lived in florida and u moved to alaska u would be pissed for about a month but after that u get used to it not all fish are that way tho

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
where did you read that copasetic? that is an interesting perspective? is there any possibility they occupy shallow areas of the lake or even venture into streams/rivers during spawning?

·
Registered
495 Posts
im not sure where i read that let me think about that one.. i know i did just read that a lithobate is known to mouth fish fecease in the wild. i read that in ad konings cichlids of lake malawi. i think lithobates are a close type to s.fryeri as they can look alike aside from the blaze.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yes lithobates will eat fish waste or sit on the periphery of feeding fish for scraps. Are you saying that eating food high in nitrates or waste products allows them to thrive in poorer water?

·
Registered
495 Posts
no the point im trying to make is that they have higher tolerance for high nitrates, and this probably evolved because of that feeding technique.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts