Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 20 gallon tank with nothing in it but a breeder net with a few fry, and I was wondering at what time I should put the fry in the 20, I'm thinking I will put they 20 or so yellow lab fry in the 20 since they have been in the net for 4 weeks and they are about half an inch big, but the 40-50 yellow tail acei fry are a week younger and they are a little smaller, but they are smaller fry. Should I put both fry in the tank right now? Or should I just move the yellow labs?

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
If the acei are only a week younger, they should be fine. I have put fry further apart in age than that without ever having any issues. And the acei will probably catch up quicker anyway considering they grow to a larger size.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, but what I was really worried about is putting fry this small in a tank with them being able to get food and everything, but will they grow quicker in the 20 than in the net right?

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Labs and Acei are both in the net? Acei 3 and labs 4 weeks?
They should both be fine in the tank by now, fry start chasing food on their own after 1-2 days in my experience, just make sure to feed 2-3 times a day. I have a few otocinclus to clean up extra that they miss as I tend to overfeed a bit.

·
Super Moderator
40,890 Posts
GTZ said:
fry start chasing food on their own after 1-2 days.
Agree, I never keep fry in a net for more than 7 days and never more than 10 fry even then.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh, well that is something I'll have to follow by, I kept almost 70 fry in a net for about a month, they all eat pretty well and I released them into the tank and they seem to be doing great :thumb:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts