Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 10 gallon tank with a hob filter (aqua-tech rated at 15gallons) and a hagen sponge filter. specifically for fry tanks... i have 4 1 inch eureka red jakes and 4 1/2 inch Enantiopus melanogenys and like 25 1/2 eureka red jakes in this tank... the substrate is sand..i put cycle in.. but it hasnt cycled yet... i havent lost any fish since i put them in there.. but the nitrites are thru the roof.. honestly i cant believe most of them havent died the nitrites are so high... my question is... how often and how big of a water change should i do while its cycling... too big of a water change will cut down on the beneficial bacteria no? or is it that you jus have to do very often small water changes to keep the nitrites from killing the fry? suggestions?

·
Registered
823 Posts
m1ke715m said:
i have a 10 gallon tank with a hob filter (aqua-tech rated at 15gallons) and a hagen sponge filter. specifically for fry tanks... i have 4 1 inch eureka red jakes and 4 1/2 inch Enantiopus melanogenys and like 25 1/2 eureka red jakes in this tank... the substrate is sand..i put cycle in.. but it hasnt cycled yet... i havent lost any fish since i put them in there.. but the nitrites are thru the roof.. honestly i cant believe most of them havent died the nitrites are so high... my question is... how often and how big of a water change should i do while its cycling... too big of a water change will cut down on the beneficial bacteria no? or is it that you jus have to do very often small water changes to keep the nitrites from killing the fry? suggestions?
Interesting that in ur sig it lists the many tanks u own, but u dont know how to cycle a tank? Really, for a fry tank its as simple as leaving some media in the main tank for 3 weeks or so and adding the media to the fry tank. But, as far as ur question, nitrites are the last part of the cycle and the most sensitive part. I would buy a big bottle of prime and dose it each day for the tank, since prime will neutralize the harmful effects of ammonia and nitrite for 24 hours a dose...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
*** only been keeping fish for 7 or so months... when i jump into something i go balls to the wall...and i learned the hard way about cycling tanks.. and usually how i did it was id add a few fish every 4 or 5 days... whereas i had to add all these at once... the hob filter was in that 10 gallon for weeks prior cuz i had convict juvies in it... i changed the water completely thou and used the water that was in my african tank.. but it still cycled as i changed all the gravel to sand and i guess the bacteria in the hob filter wasnt enough....whats prime? i have ammo chips and ammo lock... and tons of cycle.... any suggestions on how often i should do water changes thou? *** seen people say they change some water every other day... jus no sure how often and how much water i should change... should i use the ammo lock to detoxify the ammonia? or just leave it alone and let it cycle because im not losing any fry.... i mean the nitrites were HIGH as high as they went on the 6 test strip scale 50 i believe...

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Okay, so take your sponge filter and put it in an existing tank. Do 50-100% water changes 1-2x per day for 3 days while you let your sponge filter seed a culture. Then transfer it over to the fry tank and you'll be good to go. I'd still suggest 50% daily to get those guys growing faster...

By the way, nitrites of 50 would be lethal to any fish in any tank. Are you thinking nitrAtes?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
nah man.. it says nitrites... jesus 1-2 times per day... thats alot...and shouldnt the fact that *** been dumping cycle into the tank do the same thing as putting it in an existing tank?

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Cycle and other bacteria starter culture stuff doesn't always work. Product has to be kept within normal temperatures, etc. etc. It's always worked for me, but a lot of people have no luck with it.

Nitrite of 50, like I said, would kill anything. Anything more than .5 will start to kill fish. I think you need a new test kit...

And yes. Do the filter-seeding and 1-2x per day change most/all the water.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
test kits work fine on my other tanks... so i know they arent defective... but yea ill start changing the water everyday...and cycle has always worked for me... but yea ill do what you guys said.. thanx for the help

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sorry jus looked at the test strips the nitrites were up to 10.0ppm not 50.. did a 1/2 water change now they are down to 3.0 which still says its stress and the nitrates are at between 20 and 40 ppm... so ill do another 1/2 later 2nite then start doing 2 a days...

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Technically, they can't go from 10 to 3 with a 50% water change, since you're only removing half of them (would be 5ppm), but either way, good that you're getting them lower. :thumb:

Just be glad that it's only 10 gallons so water changes only require 1 bucket (if you're old school like me and use buckets) instead of, say, a 55 gallon tank.

It might seem like a lot of work now, but your fish will thank you for it when they have clean water ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well i suppose it wasnt exactly half the water probly a lil more... i took out exactly 4 gallons and put exactly 4 gallons with buffer and lake salt back in and threw cycle in... and put the sponge in the 125G tank... actually how i do it is on my big tanks i have an 18 gallon bucket that the rim like 3/4 way up is exactly 12 gallons... i figured this out by taking my 9 quart bucket and filling up 8 quarts(2gallons) till it got to the rim and it was exactly 12 gallons.. so usually i siphon it out to the rim in that.. but with the 10 gallon i jus scooped it out with a 1/2 gallon container filled up 2 buckets (blue from walmart) to 8 quarts which is 4 gallons lol and on all of my tanks i change around 30% of the water every week... except the 30G goldfish tank which is my cleanest tank even thou people say they are a dirtier fish... i do that once every 2 weeks.. the 125 i breakdown and vaccuum everyweek and the 75 and 55 i gravel vac everyother week and the off weeks i jus change the water...*** gotten it down to a system where i only have to worry about doing my tanks once a week and my gf's brother helps me so its not that hard... before i had that system it was controlling my life.. and my girlfriend was losing her mind on me all the time cuz she says all i care about are my fish lol sucks that it was her idea for us to get fish to begin with and she created a monster lol

1 - 10 of 10 Posts