Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, in the interest of continuing the Multiple Tank Syndrome I'm looking into what fry tanks people use, any good websites?

I'll have mainly Demasoni, what tanks should I look at for growing out fry to up to 2 inches?

Thanks!

·
Registered
361 Posts
I currently use strictly 10 gallon tanks right now. At one point, before I had room to set up the 10's, I was using plastic tubs. They worked out quite well, and they can be broken down, stacked together, and moved out of the way when you're not using them. If you run them with sponge filters, it makes it really easy to set them up quickly.

Here's what they looked like:

You have to be careful if you're using these though. You need to make sure the heater doesn't touch the plastic. For that reason, I used the preset Tetra submersible heaters. They have rubber on each end that keeps the heating element off the plastic. I still have them, but haven't used them to raise fry for quite some time. I now use them mainly to put rocks in when I'm mucking about in the tank, or stripping a female.

In order to get them to 2", especially with Ps. demasoni, you will be able to start them in a 10, but as they grow you will need to move them into progressively larger tanks. Quite possibly this means dedicating a 4' tank (because of their aggressive nature) to growing them out. A 33 or 40 gallon long tank would be perfect for this.

PS. I saw on another forum that you live in the same city as me. Feel free to drop me a PM if you want to come see how I do things. I don't have much, but I make it work hard for me.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
10 gallon with a sponge filter over the HOB intake.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I use 10 gallons with air-driven sponge filters. Never had a problem. 10 gallon tanks are only $10 at wally world, can't beat it.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
After I strip, I keep mine in a 5 1/2g, then progress to a 10, 20 long, and either a 40breeder or a 33 long as they grow.

G

·
those preset heaters are garbage.. i had one brand new it didnt work it'd let the temp get down to like 74.... i use a `10 gallon with a hagen sponge filter and a little hob filter... put the sponge in an established tank for a few days or even longer is better and you wont get the new tank syndrome... my tank was still cycling i put the sponge in my big tank for 3 days and when i put it back on the fry tank it completed the cycle no more nitrites.... oh and i have sand as the substrate and a few rocks..

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
The smaller the tank the more frequent the water changes but on the plus side, the fish find the food faster in a smaller tank.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
It took about 2 weeks for my fry to get comfy in a 20 tall, now they all rush to the top when they see me around.

·
Registered
589 Posts
10 gallon, Air driven sponge filter. I have CA though. Nandopsis Haitiensis.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Should be fine.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts