Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, my Kenyi has been holding now for 3 weeks and fingers crossed she doesnt spit until after tomorrow :D the reason being im just going about setting up a grow out tank which is gonna be a 17 Gallon one *** just purchased and im setting up first thing in the morning, it has come with an under gravel filter system which i have never used before so im just wanting to check that this is suitable for raising them in? also i plan on having Gravel in this tank as im guessing sand (thats in my main tank) and the under gravel filter system wouldnt work well together, this is my first time growing out fry so any tips anyone can give me would be good, I plan on taking the water out of my main Tank to fill it with and Moving my Holding Kenyi staight into it, also do i need to take some filter media out of my established set up into the filter system of the breeder/grow out tank? thanks

·
Registered
414 Posts
i dont think undergravel would be great, when you add in the fry food sometimes it takes a while for them to find it, which is why barebottom tanks are good. also, sometimes they dont eat it all, with barebottom tank you can just siphon the uneated food out easily. i know a guy that swars by raising baby plecos with undergravel filter, but he feeds them larger chunks of food that cant dissapear into the filter plate.

·
Registered
169 Posts
personally i use the undergravel in all my tanks. Just have to be alot more diligent at keeping the food up if you use one in a fry tank.

·
Registered
105 Posts
You want to make sure to put more than just your tank water in your fry tank. The bacteria don't live in the water they mainly live in your filter, substrate (sand) and on decorations. Add some filter media from your established tank to the filter if your fry tank, that should do the trick.

·
Super Moderator
40,480 Posts
Another vote against undergravel filters. But since you have already bought it, you will need to use gravel.

And yes, water has basically no bacteria, but used filter media should work.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the feedback, I should have researched the undergravel filter before i got it I Purchased the set up second hand in a panic as i know she will spit very very soon and its the only secondhand set up of suitable size i could find, I will change the filtration system when i get paid next month to the other type, i suppose i need to toughen up if i wish to keep these sort of fish i cant bear to sit here and watch them all get eaten but i guess if i keep every batch i will have that many fish i wont know what to do with them :roll: I have a second one holding which im pretty sure is a week behind the first one would it be ok to put the 2 holding females in the new tank and raise the 2 lots of fry at the same time? would there be much difference in size in just a weeks difference? I dont intend to strip any of the females just seperatethem and hope for the best, I certainly cant go out and purchase a 3rd tank got to draw the line somewhere!! im more eager to keep my kenyi fry (the ones that are ready now) rather than the lab ones that are a week behind thanks

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well i think the second batch are labs, they could be johannis as the jury is out as to whether the female carrier is a lab or a female Johanni :wink: I must admit if they turned out to be Johannis i would be over the moon as my Males ones are Gorgeous :D

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
I have an UG filter in my hospital/fry tank. The problem with them is that you have to vacuum them well and regularly, and you have to take out the decorations to do that. In a fry tank. that's pretty easy to do.

You'll prob. need to do large water changes daily because it isn't cycled, I'd be testing the water daily.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Success! moved my keyi this morning into the new one and within an hour i had Babies :D they are a lot biggr than i thought they would be and got good colour too :) they are dark Blue with light blue barring! she dropped a couple in the main tank when we was trying to catch her but managed to hold onto another 10 or so which are now hiding under rocks in the new tank, gave her a good feed then put her back in the main tank so she was only out just over an hour, im thinking of doing 25% water changs daily and taking the water out of my main tank to get the Bactria going in my gravel, have been in awe this morning watching all these little fish drop out of her 1 or 2 at a time, amazing! just wondering how on earth she fitted them all in there!! time to research fry food :thumb:

·
Super Moderator
40,480 Posts
Truly...there is no bacteria in the water. If you want to transfer bacteria, use filter media or substrate.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
oh! any suggestions then? theres no media in my undergravel filter and my main tank has sand that i cant use, would a piece of media put in the pipe that pushes the water up work? this filters turning out to be a real pain :( they do a small cheap filter for goldfish bowls that work off the airpump would that work ok for now with cycled media in it and aswell as using the undergravel system?

·
Super Moderator
40,480 Posts
Even just floating an entire media cartridge from the established tank freely in the water of the new tank for two weeks will work.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts