Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I set up the 55g without reading much about a fry tank or a hospital tank. The more I read the more it's a good idea to get a small 10-20g to use as such. Here's my issue though...Am I going to keep this all set up and cycled, keep adding ammonia to use when necessary? If I don't use it for a year that's just a waste of time and money. My other thought is, I have bio balls in my filter in a bag, could I just set up when needed using the bio balls from the main filter for an instant cycle? I also have a second HOB filter that I haven't started using for the main tank (bought it for extra filtration but everything is fine).

·
Registered
449 Posts
You could use the bio balls and/or set up the hang on the back filter on your main tank and move it to your hospital tank as needed. I always have a couple extra filters cycled and running just in case I need one. I have an Eheim Classic 250 I run on a 20 gallon tank pretty regularly now since it seems I always have fry. When the 20 is not in use I just add it to one of my other tanks.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Old Newbie said:
You could use the bio balls and/or set up the hang on the back filter on your main tank and move it to your hospital tank as needed. I always have a couple extra filters cycled and running just in case I need one. I have an Eheim Classic 250 I run on a 20 gallon tank pretty regularly now since it seems I always have fry. When the 20 is not in use I just add it to one of my other tanks.
When do you think I'll be needing to deal with this? I just stocked my tank a little over two weeks ago with juveniles but they seem to be growing fast. When do they mature enough to have fry?

·
Registered
449 Posts
ironspider said:
Old Newbie said:
When do you think I'll be needing to deal with this? I just stocked my tank a little over two weeks ago with juveniles but they seem to be growing fast. When do they mature enough to have fry?
You may be surprised how quickly they are able to spawn; I've had 6 month old Kenyi spawn, but I also have some Yellow Labs that are 1 1/2 years old that have not spawned, or at least have not had any surviving fry. I would go ahead and set up the HOB, you may need it for a hospital tank before you get fry, and a back up filter is never a bad thing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts