Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it normal for Demasoni fry that were stripped about 24 hours ago to be swimming upside down?
:-? :-? :-?

I noticed this morning that a couple were doing this so I did a 25% WC and since I see all but one are swimming normal. One will be upside down then vetical for a few seconds, but he is still wiggling around once in awhile.

I have been feeding them Hikari First bites and frozen baby brine shrimp if that matters. They are in a breeder box (floating type) so shouldnt be getting pushed by current to much at all.

Any input would be great. Thanks

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
I had this happen to a fish once. No I wouldn't think this is normal. My fish had gotten beat up on pretty bad and when I moved it to another tank is when it started swimming upside down. It looked like the fish was getting ready to die. I did some reading up on it and it was suggested that it was some type of airbladder issue. I really didn't do anything special and the fish ended up being ok. I'm not saying to do nothing but it was my only experience and it wasn't with fry. Maybe search the Health section of the site and see what you can come up with.

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
I never saw that. Does the fish seem to be in control?

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
DJRansome said:
I never saw that. Does the fish seem to be in control?
Well he will right himself and swim along in a normal fashion, then its like he takes a break and floats upside down or vertically then rights himself again for a little bit. Gonna watch him and will try and video it if i can. They are pretty tiny tho so I dont know how this is gonna work.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I tried getting some vid but it would focus on the fish but the breeder rather. While watching him I noticed that now he maily staying tipped 90 deg to the right. I see him pecking food off the bottom of the breeder and can swim forward when it wants. Maybe just underdeveloped? I keep that tank temp at about 80-81F.

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate is about 15ppm (between the 10 and 20 colors on card)

Did about a 25% WC this morning and plan on doing another one about the same tonight, unless yous think I should just leave it like that. Is it possible that since they are up high in the tank close to the light that they could be warmer in there? Would it hurt to just leave the light off when not viewing this tank?

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Finally got a somewhat viewable video of that fry. You can see him swimming upside down if look good. Did another water change of about 25% tonight so that is the 2nd one today. He is swimming and feeding off the bottom but still not in the upright position like the others. Seen a few of the others doing this for a few seconds but right themselves not too long after, but this little one will zoom all over the breeder upside down.

http://img857.imageshack.us/img857/8060/upa.mp4

·
Registered
363 Posts
Honestly, I'd say cull him and chalk it up to a loss. Something that small isn't worth trying to treat and raise if there's already health issues. If you have one batch of demasoni now, you will have tons more in the future.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
GTZ said:
Doesn't hurt to wait and see what happens.
:thumb: I dont need the breeder box for anything right now anyhow, plus will more I can watch grow. If they dont make it im not out anything anyhow.

·
Registered
363 Posts
xxbenjamminxx said:
GTZ said:
Doesn't hurt to wait and see what happens.
:thumb: I dont need the breeder box for anything right now anyhow, plus will more I can watch grow. If they dont make it im not out anything anyhow.
Cool. Good luck with him. :)

·
Registered
169 Posts
Years ago I had a lot of molly fry grow up in a community tank. One of them seemed to be lacking a normal sense of balance or up-and-down. It got along, but like your dem, it didn't always swim upright. It grew up to be an otherwise normal molly, but would occasionally zoom around the tank doing a corkscrew spiral like it was an airplane with one wing shot off. It finally zoomed itself right out of the tank and on to the floor.

It was just a curiosity in my tank and didn't hurt anything (except itself eventually). As long as you have the tank space, I'd say keep the fry and see what happens.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
UPDATE: Got up today n found one of my Lab fry dead, but on brighter note it looks like that Dem fry is swimming right side up. Only had a few minutes to watch him, we got about 18 inches of snow last night!! Needless to say I Have a long day behind the snowblower today :(

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
All day today and yesterday all 6 fry are right side up and look to be getting bigger!!! Glad it is looking good for the little guy.

How big are they when they can usually find food in a bigger tank (10g) and can be taken out of the breeder net?

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
I thought they were in the main tank :oops:
My fry go straight in the 10g, they should be fine on their own, sponges on the filter intakes? (If any)

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
GTZ said:
I thought they were in the main tank :oops:
My fry go straight in the 10g, they should be fine on their own, sponges on the filter intakes? (If any)
No not in the main tank, they were in a breeder net in a temporary 20g long but have since setup a 10g and moved the breeder net into that. There is also 4 lab juvies ranging from 3/4" to 1" in the 10g. Will move them out of the breeder net into the 10g with the labs and place a sponge on the intake today unless anyone thinks the Lab Juvies will snack on them.

Maybe I am just being overly paranoid about them getting eaten. :-?

·
Registered
363 Posts
1" labs aren't going to be able to eat the demasoni babies... they may out-compete them for food at the top though. I'd give them a few weeks or so to put on some mass and confidence, but that's just me (and I'm sort of weird).

I generally keep juvies in breeder nets for a couple of months; it's just easier/less wasteful to feed them imo.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Since your new fry are just a week or so old, I would be very concerned that the larger labs would kill them. I've released two week old lab fry in with 1" lab juvies and even though the new fry were too big to be swallowed, the larger fish killed many of them. I'd keep them separate until the dem fry are bigger and faster.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks guys, I am currently building a DIY divider. Have the plastic canvas all cut to size and together just need to get some book report binders for the sides. Was thinking that I might have enough suction cups laying around here to put 4 on either side (2 on top and 2 on bottom) to hold into place so it doesnt tip over if anyone where to bump into it. Just hate how the uneaten food gets stuck to the sides of that breeder net.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts