Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my aurtaus and kenyi have spawned. I caught only 1 of the Kenyi and 4 auratus fry so far. The rest seem to have disappeared.

My questions are:

1) How long can the fry stay in one of those floating fry boxes before they need more room

2) Do syno's eat cichlid fry?

My elongatus Mpanga also spawned recently but didn't see where she spit the fry and I can't see them anywhere in the tank so I'm thinking the catfish ate them.

Anyone ever have an issue with catfish eating fry?

·
Registered
554 Posts
Are those the holding females you caught? Five at once? :eek: :popcorn: :eek:

Syno's eat fry. That's actually the reason many people keep them.
Most fish will eat anything wriggly that they can fit into their mouths.

As for the little breeder box thingy, not too long, I'd venture. I'd get on setting up breeder tanks, if you want to raise them.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nina_b said:
Are those the holding females you caught? Five at once? :eek: :popcorn: :eek:

Syno's eat fry. That's actually the reason many people keep them.
Most fish will eat anything wriggly that they can fit into their mouths.

As for the little breeder box thingy, not too long, I'd venture. I'd get on setting up breeder tanks, if you want to raise them.
Thanks for the Reply Nina, the females that were holding spit the fry into the corner of the tank. I grabbed them during a water change/gravel vacuum.

I think I'm going to get rid of my syno's. I wouldn't mind letting the fry grow in my main tank but no space for a fry tank unfortunately so I guess the syno's have to go.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Your adult cichlids will also eat the fry, just maybe not as aggressively as the syno's.

Fry in your main tank will not be safe until they are too big to fit in any of your adults' mouths. You can keep them in a breeding box or net until they grow a bit and can swim fast and then release them back into the tank. Release them with the lights out, like late at night, so they can find a hiding place before they get noticed.

·
Super Moderator
40,875 Posts
Yep, adult Malawi eat the fry by day and synos eat the fry by night. To raise fry you need a separate tank.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Go empty out some christmas decorations from a storage bin.. Clean it out, add dome fish tank water, put a filter on that sucker and grow out your fish :) Use some filter media from your established tank on the growout tank filter as well..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts