Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They are in a breeder net situated in the main tank.
The fry that have died so far have all been females.

·
Super Moderator
40,491 Posts
No not normal IME.

·
Registered
977 Posts
How do you know the fry are female?

I had it happen occasionally. Usually when my WC wasn't just right or some other stressor....and usually with just stripped fry, but it's happened with fry stripped a couple of weeks before.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
^
I'm assuming the female's are yellow and the male's are
dark, I'm going off the adult fuelleborni's I have.

I just did the weekly water change today so I guess we'll
see how it goes tonight.

Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Normally, I might lose one or two in the immediate days after they are free swimming. The most I ever lost was my acei. I think 3-4 of them died over the course of the first week. Natural selection IMO. Good thing they have large broods of 40~.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Dont feel too bad. I lost an entire clutch of Hara eggs due to a bad tumbler design on my behalf. Must have been 30-40. Thankfully, she's holding again. This time in a maternity tank. It happens to the best of us! I would try an isolation tank next time just so you can rule out all the other variables.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
So far out of the fairly small number of fry I have had (about 70) I haven't lost a one yet. They are more hardy than you think.

Just gotta make sure the adults cannot get to the breeder net if its in the main tank cause they will still manage to kill em through the net. Heard of them even getting killed through the slots on the plastic breeder boxes. Like Rasco is doing now, I set up a 10g maternity tank that the fry go into immediately after stripping.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have about 20 or so yellow lab fry all free swimming in a 10 gallon by themselves i havent had any die its been about 2 weeks.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thought I'd let everyone know for future reference.

I am now convinced the female Fryeri has been killing the
fry while they are sleeping at the bottom of the breeder
net. Although the Fryeri hasn't been able to eat them, the
force of her attack has been fatally injuring them as they
get squashed between the Fryeri and the plastic borders
of the net.

I will be transfering the remainder of the brood to a grow
out tank ASAP. I hope it is ok to do so at this stage?

·
Registered
169 Posts
blackice87 said:
I'm still a novice myself but I've had decent luck with fry so far.

I agree with you to move them. As long as your grow out tank has no fish in it that are bigger than the fry they should be fine. I don't recall how old they are, but if they are still very tiny you can keep them in the breeder net in your other tank so that you can feed them without scattering food in a large tank. The main thing is to get them away from the large fish to stop the attacks. Most of the fry I have lost have been killed by bigger fish (older fry in the same grow out tank). Generally the mbuna fry seem to be very hardy in the absence of predation. :fish:

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
blackice87 said:
Sure. Why not? Fry are pretty dang hardy. Much hardier than you would think. I would use water from the main tank to fill the grow out that way temperature and all parameters stay the same. No changes but scenery!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts