Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a group of C. borleyi Kandango kids that just turned a year old a few days ago. I'm wondering how big they should be at this age??? Their sizes range from 1/2 inch to 1 3/4 inches long. I'm thinking they're kind of small for their age??? The biggest one of the bunch is actully starting to color up a bit (I can see some blue coming in on his face....)
:fish:

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I would agree, but I don't know Cyno's.

My mbuna grow pretty fast (to 1" in 3 months)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't understand it myself. They are very voracious eaters and I do a 10-20% water change once a week. Does the size of the tank have anything to do with it? They are in a 20G Long...

The first set of fry I ever had (O. Lithobates) had interesting size ranges at a yr old too, but they were bigger than this....

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Fry will grow faster doing daily/every other day changes. (doing 40-50%)

I noticed quite rapid growth doing every other day changes vs the once / week I did with my first batch of fry.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I should do that then? It's not too late is it? lol

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
shouldn't hurt, but by nature, growth is fastest when they're smallest.

ie, going from 1/4" to 1/2" - in 3 weeks is double in size, yet still only a growth of 1/4".

don't be surprised if you don't see results right away.

You could go to 20-30% every other day, whatever is easiest - no reason for this to be a pain in the rear - it's supposed to be a fun hobby :)

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I'd say it was the minimal water changes. Cichlid fry release hormones into the water that, once they reach a certain level, inhibit growth because the habitat isn't large enough to sustain that biomass. Doing half the tank every day or two might still be a fix.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Does that go for fish in general? bcuz a couple of the fish in my big tank that are adults have been the same size (under average size that is) for a while now.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
dielikemoviestars said:
I'd say it was the minimal water changes. Cichlid fry release hormones into the water that, once they reach a certain level, inhibit growth because the habitat isn't large enough to sustain that biomass. Doing half the tank every day or two might still be a fix.
A moderator indicated that [fishy chem-warfare] has been debunked - not to mention never proven.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
DCEyeBiter said:
Does that go for fish in general? bcuz a couple of the fish in my big tank that are adults have been the same size (under average size that is) for a while now.
In order for an average to be average, some will be smaller than others :)

(Keep in mind, nearly half of the world's population is below-average intelligence)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts