Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have thirty-odd two week old astatotilapia latifasciata fry in a 10 gallon tank, and I wish to reclaim it as a hospital and quarantine before they outgrow it. I have a new 75 in the garage (Florida) and I'm trying to figure out what to put in it for filters and a heater. I've slowly been filling it with water from my main tank, and there is a powerhead in there keeping it moving with no filter.

I'm not sure if it will get too hot in the summer for them, but I spoke with a local breeder, and he said his greenhouses get to about 105 in the summer during the day, without the water getting above 85. I'll just have to watch the temp.

How many watts should the heater be? We get frost a few days a year, on average. It probably only gets down to about 50 in the garage.

Also, I'm planning on buying one or two of the biggest sponge filters I can find. I've never owned one before, and they sure are ugly! I have a penguin 550 and 1140, but I'm guessing they would blow the fry around too much? Maybe use air until they're bigger? I'll put the filters in the main tank for a few weeks, with the powerheads, before they go in the grow out tank.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool calculator! Thanks!

I'm back in school for engineering, but haven't taken "heat transfer" yet. The calculator says a 300w will keep it at 75, I'm "cool" with that. It doesn't stay that cold for long, anyway.

You gave me an idea to search for another calculator, to confirm, and I found this one:
http://www.kernsanalysis.com/HeaterCalculator.cgi
but it gives me much lower numbers.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts