Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the first time I have kept any fry, so I'm still pretty new to it all.

To catch everyone up, I stripped my Electric Yellow yesterday, and she had 24 fry, 23 of which are still alive. Then today I stripped my Yellow Tail Acei, and she had around 45. So I have both fry in a baby saver in a 20 gallon tank, and I have given them some crushed pellet food I have for my adult fish, but they don't seem to eat it at all, they don't even go for it. Is this normal? The eggsacks are gone, so they should be eating right?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I've found they more readily accept crushed flakes & then move on to crushed pellets or pellets like NLS Grow(that I use). But that's just me, what works in 1 person's tank - may not in another. No worries, they will quickly figure it out .

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
It may take a couple days until they get the idea. Keep feeding 3-4X daily and vacuum up any extra.

·
Registered
361 Posts
dielikemoviestars said:
I've always done crushed flake with no issues.

PS - 45 from one spawn?! Is she pushing 6" or something?! Congrats!
IME, acei tend to throw a lot of fry. I had a 2.5" female spit 32 - her first time. I've also had a 4.5" female give me 68. They have small eggs, which means they can fit A LOT in there.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Wow, 68! :eek: I've had broods of 41 and 33, but that's unreal.

·
Registered
41 Posts
What I am using for my Labidochrmis fry is from Hikari called My First Bites. Its like powder form as sone as it hits the water and they go for it, give it a try :fish:

·
Registered
291 Posts
Patience, it takes a couple days for them to figure it out IME. I use crushed NLS pellets for all my fry. I've been thinking about giving the whole brine shrimp thing a try, but haven't committed to it yet.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I like using decapsulated brine shrimp eggs, a little goes a long way . It's best used in a bare bottom tank, makes for easier cleanup.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Fishee2 said:
What I am using for my Labidochrmis fry is from Hikari called My First Bites. Its like powder form as sone as it hits the water and they go for it, give it a try :fish:
+1 on the Hikari First bites - I have used a single envelop on more than a half a dozen spawns and plenty is left.

Way less waste than crushed anything as all the powered bits are truely tiny and just a little goes a long way and gets eaten ravenously. Great product IMO.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Most of them start eating the crushed pellets, it takes a while until they get to it tho, how long will it take for them to get color and a big enough to actually look like a fish haha.

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
My yellows are born looking exactly like the adults. Well maybe within a week. And I often have juvie's hold eggs at around six months.

I never raised a batch of acei fry.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The yellows are much larger than the Acei which is what i imagined since there were so many more fry from the Acei, the yellows look pretty good, how long will it take until they get around and inch inch and half? Will I be able to put them in the main tank with adults of around 4 inches at that time? The adults are only around 3 inches now, assuming they grow an inch by then

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
Figure about six months. It could take more or less than that, and they won't all be the same size either. Yes 1.5" is a good size to add juvies to the main tank.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts