Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The colony of Duboisi I bought off Craig's List gave me some babies. They are like 8 years old and still producing fry. I knew they had to still be breeding when I bought them though because there were six 1-1.25" fry.

This female had held since late May so I decided I would buy a breeder net and strip her. So earlier today I bought a Lee breeder net and while I was performing my weekly waterchange I got it done.

I got 8 fry from her mouth but I didn't push the issue too much since this was my first time stripping fry.

So here are some pictures I snapped. The first one had the flash on and the rest were without.

Enjoy. :fish:

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
:dancing:

The fry daddy... :lol:

·
Registered
22 Posts
ah...so cute!!!!! :lol:

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
Why are they in a fry protector?
Do your adults kill fry?

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
24Tropheus said:
Why are they in a fry protector?
Do your adults kill fry?
Along with the 14 duboisi I have 20 moliro that are 1.25-1.75" in the tank. It is pretty much bare inside. This is the first fry I have gotten since I have had them so I don't know if the adults will kill the fry or not. The female most likely didn't want to spit them out because of the moliro. So I stripped her and put the fry into a breeder net so they would be safe. She held them for 34-35 days and with no end in sight I decided I would help her out.

The moliro are the key factor and if they weren't in the tank or if the tank wasn't bare I probably would have let her spit on her own.

·
Registered
22 Posts
good idea :thumb:

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
8)

Not sure how long or how successful raising in a breeding trap can be.
Not worked for me.

Maybe best to get a 10g tank or something set up quick.

·
Registered
22 Posts
why is your tank bare?

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I also wanted to keep an eye on them when I first got them make sure they were all eating and what not. I have only had them since May 14-15th. Plus my tank is overstocked. There are 34 fish in a 75 gallon. Nothing in the tank so nothing to fight over. There are some lengths of 1/2" PVC pipe in the tank for the moliro to use if need be.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.