Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my red devil fry are a lil over a week old and i was feeding them liquid fry food until i ran out lat night. i went out this morning to buy them and the parents some food and only managed to find some small pellets but they seem to float which isnt good for the fry. i also brought aqua one frozen brine shrimp and managed to get the block to sink right in the middle of the fry, but i cant see them having any :(

any ideas?
my budget is almost $0 due to upcoming holidays and bills but if i need to buy something for them i will !!!

thanks

·
Registered
308 Posts
i have never used this for fry but *** used it on smaller fish take some of the pellets and crush them up. maybe if u put the food and a cup water it might soften them up enough for the fry and once u crush up floating food it usually sink to the bottom in my experience. hope this helps u

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks guys, will try the crushed food.

im assuming over the coming weeks they will pick at the brine shrimp too, i also have the blood worms aswell.

have plenty of new pellets that sink ok when crushed so will keep at it :)

thanks

·
Registered
12,338 Posts
When the fry are small (only a week old as you state) decapsulated brine shrimp eggs are the BEST on the market. No mess, no fuss. Here's a link as you will not find it in a store:

http://www.brineshrimpdirect.com/Decaps ... s-p34.html

You can also hard boil and egg and feed the yolk. This is a bit old school, something my dad used to do with angels... After the egg cools retrieve the yolk. Blend it with some water then use and empty frozen fish food tray and refill the little cubes with your mixture and re-freeze. Drop a cube in the water once a day...

Keep in mind that there's so much protien in egg yolk that water changes will have to be performed every other day to keep the tank clean...

Also, if the fry are still in with the parents they will assist in feeding the fry by chewing up provided food and spitting it out at the fry.

Hikari first bites is a decent food but nothing compares to decapsulated brine shrimp eggs!

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
TheFishGuy turned me on to de-encapsulated brine shrimp eggs and they are great for fry.

I also crush up pellets with an old fashioned mortar and pestle to a fine powder.

Finely crushed flake too.

....Bill

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
I also have to concur on the Decapsulated brine shrimp eggs :thumb:

TheFishGuy got me hooked on using them and they are great! I love Decapsulated Brine Shrimp! Thanks TFG! :)

Otherwise crushed flakes will do :thumb:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts