Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My very expensive tank ...100 gal hap/peacock...tank is well established, a closed system (no new additions in months), spoiled, and yet I'm still constantly treating the thing for parasite/bacterial/fungal infections...I'd say 75 percent is parasite and the rest mostly bacterial...

These fish have a sump with well over twice the necessary bio capacity...a super steady ph of 7.7, a super steady temp of 79.0, and a small assortment of plants.nitrates nitrites and ammonia consistently test almost nil..the fish aren't overfed...The mech filter media portion is swapped monthly...

And yet I still end up treating the tank for something about every other week....anyone else have this problem?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
228 Posts
I had one of my tanks with a problem like this. And it turned out to be that every thing was too perfect, and that my lighting was too good and causing the majority of the growth. I got rid of the live plants and reduced my lighting a notch. and change up the flow. a 50% water change, with a gravle vacumm. And that preaty much solved the problem. You might want to check if you have red alge. My 10 gal tank had that and the only cure for that was to compleatly drain the tank and bleach EVERYTHING. Big pain. But that was all I could do.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
87 Posts
I don't know that I can help you but you might want to discuss some of the symptoms you have run up against and how you have been treating the tank. It sounds like whatever the issue is hasn't been effectively eliminated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,422 Posts
paradigmsk8er
In the majority of cases like yours, the illnesses that are spotted and treated are secondary illnesses only. The underlying problem(s) are not known or solved. E.g. One hap tank a friend owned turned out to have very low disolved o2 levels despite his insistence that his tank must have plenty of o2 because of the number of canister filters and powerheads he was using.

Can you describe the details of the tank a little more?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,048 Posts
When in doubt use Clout :wink:

Methinks more meds creates more problems the same as in NASCAR where yellow flags create more yellow flags.

In reality by medicating frequently you might be weakening the fish. What might be just casual nighttime contact causing a sore might be considered a symtom of something bad and out come the pills.

Not saying you do not have a problem and prolly more info would be helpful. Sometimes it is better to isolate the suspected problem fish and treat it seperately. Treating the whole tank can make things worst in most cases.

Consider a UV sterilizer for bacterial and parasitic eradication. :thumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a UV sterilizer in my sump, though I am hoping to switch to a more robust, slower flowing setup...low oxygen maybe, depending on the O2 levels in the tap water, but doubtful since it is a huge sump system with a large overflow and 1000 gph turnover.

Over medicating is something that I worry about, and have since day one of getting into the fish hobby...but that being said, and I think a lot of you are in the same boat, if you wait too long and/or don't medicate if you THINK something is wrong...it's often too late...I haven't lost any fish in a little while now, and I think I am finally pushing past the initial "new fish" slump of infections...although I ordered from a reputable breeder, acclimated, pretreated, and introduced...I think I still brought problems with the new fish.

As it is now, the tank is stable, the fish are doing well. Aggression has always been normal for a rift lake tank, so stress shouldn't have really been causing it. I guess I was just looking to see if anyone else had seen similar situations.

I know it seems odd, but I often wonder what bacterial/fungal/parasitic stuff I might be bringing in with my tap water...
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top