Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased some frozen peas today and plan on surprising my mbunas with them. Can anyone suggest how to prepare the peas?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thawed them in the microwave a little and peeled them. They're kinda pecking at them but I dont really think they know what to do with them lol

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
We boil em a bit, pop them from their skins and feed. Fish go crazy.

Usually do this the night before tank maintenance and clean up after the party the next day.

·
Registered
63 Posts
fox is right, just blanch them in some boiling water and it will soften them up.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I personally have never feed my fish veggies like that. Just have never gotten around to it. I do need to try it sometime. A friend of mine had some German Blue Rams she used to feed zuchinni and cucumbers and she blanched them before putting them in the tank in order to soften them up. Not sure if it is required but I'm sure it would definitely help.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
bstatham said:
I personally have never feed my fish veggies like that. Just have never gotten around to it. I do need to try it sometime. A friend of mine had some German Blue Rams she used to feed zuchinni and cucumbers and she blanched them before putting them in the tank in order to soften them up. Not sure if it is required but I'm sure it would definitely help.
I only ask because I dont have access to a stove = boiling water

·
Registered
63 Posts
Ahh, well, I would say your microwave method would probably be the best possible solution. Id put them in some water in the microwave and run it for a bit and soften them up that way, or I suppose you could soak them in tank water like mentioned above if "microwave blanching" doesn't work. Science experiment!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
bstatham said:
Ahh, well, I would say your microwave method would probably be the best possible solution. Id put them in some water in the microwave and run it for a bit and soften them up that way, or I suppose you could soak them in tank water like mentioned above if "microwave blanching" doesn't work. Science experiment!
It should be interesting lol. 3/4 peas are gone now. Although my jewel was hiding one for some reason.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
bstatham said:
Haha. Sneaky, Sneaky.
Very sneaky. Until my pleco found it and devoured it lol

Next week I was going to try and give them zuchinni (is it really better for mbunas than cucumber?) And is it safe to just spear it on a spoon and drop it in for a day?

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
YoungCrazyCatWoman said:
How long can the peas stay in there?
With our fish not long at all, sorta like a feeding frenzy. Thing is it makes a mess of the tank both before ... and then after.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Im not sure about the nutritional difference of zuchinni and cucumber so someone else might have to answer that. I do know you are good to go with zuchinni though. I have seen people use a fork to poke through the zuchinni and into the substrate to hold it on the bottom to make it easier for the fish to get to and eat. I don't neccesarily know how safe it is in regards to silverware possiblly contaminating the water?

Anyone else know?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm worried about silverware rusting and the fish impaling themselves on a fork...

And do cucumbers and zuchinni have to be peeled first?

·
Registered
86 Posts
I really don't think that you need to worry about a fork rusting in your tank, especially in the amount of time you are likely to leave it in for the fish to eat a piece of zuchinni. That said, I'm not sure that using a fork is the best option. In the past I have used lead weights to keep the veggies from floating. I would provide a bigger piece than I intended to let them eat and attach the weight to one end. After a given period of time, I would take the weight and the remaining food out.

I am also a believer in softening veggies up prior to feeding. I'm not sure if it is really necessary, but it makes sense that it might help with digestion. It could also minimize the expansion potential the food has after the fish has ingested it = less chance of bloat.

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
YoungCrazyCatWoman said:
And do cucumbers and zuchinni have to be peeled first?
If you cut them in circles, they will eat out the inside and leave the peel.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts