Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed my frontosa farting air bubbles after I feed them last night. Do fish fart? I also noticed a few bubble come out when one of them was dropping a terd... I have had frontosa for 1.5 years and fish for over 8 years and never seen this before. What are your feelings on this? :?

·
Registered
619 Posts
I have seen my juvies do it occationally. I would wonder though if its a new thing or they do it all the time if it might be a early warning sign for float ? It could be the food they are eating has alot of trapped air in it ?? Mine do not do it regularly. These are just suggestions

·
Registered
14 Posts
Mine do the same. They have been doing this since I got them. I feed them sinking pellets so I know it isn't from them gulping air when feeding. I think it maybe from the highly oxygenated air in my tank. There is a lot of air bubbles in the water from surface movement. It could also be from trapped air in the food? Anyone else have anything to add to this?

·
Registered
619 Posts
I think it has to do with trapped air in the food. I noticed they did this alot more often when i had some haps and peacocks in with them that fed at the surface with floating pellets, the fronts would eat some of the floating pellets then when pooping they would have some gas bubbles come out. I noticed that they would do it still but alot less with slowly sinking food pellets and almost not at all with the fast sinking ones thats why i think its 75 percent the food and 25 percent other things. I noticed that not all brands sink as quickly, some seem to have more air in them than other brands.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts