Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems as though this may be a loaded question...I am new to cichids only tank. (lseveral years of freshwater experience, angels/silver dollars gourami.) I got an adult front with a tank years ago and I sold him for next to nothing, I had no idea, I just wanted the tank. He was sweet and I missed him ever since.

I have a 150 gallon looking to stock fronts and parrots. Searched the internet. some say do some say don't. They both seem friendly non-agressive enough, have not done anything yet. advice. FYI, I really do not want to breed fronts.

·
Super Moderator
4,129 Posts
If you provide good living conditions for your frontosa - clean water, sufficient food, suitably sized tank - they will breed. They'll never ask you if you want them to do that :lol:

Regarding blood parrot cichlids, I can see the attraction of wanting to combine a red fish with the blue of the frontosa. However, I could not in good conscience recommend the keeping of blood parrot cichlids to anybody. There is a lot of ado made about them being hybrids, and reasonable people can have long discussions about the pro and cons of creating hybrids and never agree. I won't even open that can of worms.

An entirely different point is that blood parrot cichlids are bred to have anatomical deformities. The deformities are not the same in all blood parrots, but I have never seen a blood parrot that was not deformed. Deformities can include a beak-shaped mouth that cannot fully close, abnormal swim bladders that cause an awkward swimming pattern, abnormal spines contributing to the fish's unique shape, and unusually large irises. If you want to know more about this, you could start your reading for example here.

These deformities are a large part of what makes blood parrots unique and attractive to some people. In my view breeding blood parrot cichlids is like breeding three legged dogs for the enjoyment of watching them hop around in a funny way. Don't get me wrong, I know folks who have adopted three legged dogs from the pound, and they can still lead a full and happy life, but that doesn't mean I would encourage the deliberate breeding of dogs that are born with three legs! The equivalent of the latter in the fish world is the blood parrot cichlid. I would urge you not to buy any animals that have been bred to have anatomical deformities. It is the only way to stop people from breeding them.

There are lots of healthy fish that would be happy to share a 150G with your fronts, altolamprologus species being one noteworthy example.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the response. And extremely well presented case against these fish :thumb: I will not buy one. I guess I read a lot of stories where people enjoyed these fish. Like a mixed breed dog. I didn't realize they were like mutants.

I am new to cichlids, I see the Color as the attraction to these type of fish. but when I looked at the photo of the fish you mentioned I don't get maybe it's the juvenile pics that throw me off, it's not attractive. I saw a video of a beautiful blue fish with a yellow tale and I thought beautiful it was large but not too large. I don't know what kind of fish no label? I guess I think they look nicer as adults? I did see a front and severum together both beautiful, but people were saying no you can't do that...

The front I had briefly was like a puppy if you went to the tank he would rub up against it, and he was gorgeous and large, I liked that. People said you add a few females that fish will not be interested in you any longer... I don't like that...

·
Registered
482 Posts
sounds like your looking for a water "pet" and from what i've read oscars can make good fish like what it sounds like you want from a larger fish

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmm.. Oscars. Gonna read up. Mean I thought though? Water pet, yes sounds right, lol!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice suggestion! Ah ha, yes a water dog! Sounds fun, except I stummbled on a site that said the Oscar took a kids finger off, yikes. Not that I think a kids finger should be in there... How true do you think that was?
They do sound like what I have been looking for... But one site said you could keep one with severum? True or not?

Some person said they feed that fish baby mice, yuck!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not sure I am going that route but OK thanks.

·
Super Moderator
4,129 Posts
Jojo103 said:
Sorry wasn't trying to offend.
My wife thinks altolamps are the ugliest fish ever. I love them. I don't think agreement will ever be reached :lol:

But they are a perfect match for fronts in terms of temperament, water parameters, and food requirements.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
How many fronts do you have with this fish? I know everyone recommends a harem but how about just one front with other fish? He is not that pretty :). I do like the rams/fronts, angels, electric yellow. Yes the prettier fish.

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
Jojo103 said:
. I do like the rams/fronts, angels, electric yellow. Yes the prettier fish.
Sadly, they don't go together at all.

I know everyone recommends a harem but how about just one front with other fish
People recommend a harem, as that is how they are happiest and do the best. It is my opinion that if you are not committed to this, perhaps other fish would be a better option?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah, I know, you are right. If only you could just have one of everything you liked in one tank.. I did see a beautiful tank here the guy had angels, rams, tetra, some others was nice well rounded. But right now I have three FW community tanks, just wanted something a little different, big.

·
Registered
38 Posts
i have two parrots big ones because my wife likes them...wife happy=more money for frontosa venture...

so...i've got 2 big orange parrots a clown loach and some sorta cat in my 55.

i want to breed frontosa in the garage.

if you want frontosa and a parrot in the same tank...well more power to you. though it's like, not as cool"" as say: having all the fish from the same lake. and i' don't believe you'll ever find a parrot fish in the wild.

i suggest getting two tanks at least one biggy '55 or larger', and one for the fish that do not co operate like the others in the community do. african cichlids are territorial.

even a little ten gallon hospital tank would be good too if they come down with something.

~sincerely jason

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks yeah.. I have a 150 in the basement someone said would be nice for a small harem of fronts one male 3 female. And I am purchasing a 72 today I hope. I also have a 24 gal jbj, trying to sell. And a 6 gal fluval edge and a ten gallon hospital. So I have plenty of tanks/ room to do just that. I just have to ask questions to learn, what the right thing is, and try not to question the answer to that :). And I like to be sure before I take the plunge. Or before the fish do I should say. Thanks for sharing about the parrots.. Seems like it could be a sore subject.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Blood parrots can be aggressive if they have convict genes. some do and some dont. I personally have two juvi blood parrots(wife wanted) and one is WAY more aggressive than the other. that being said it is a good thing that their mouths are useless at biting with their deformed jaws so I wouldnt expect them to actaully cause damage, just a lot of stress from chasing other fish. and that is something that may ruin the whole idea of keeping those two together for color contrast if one of them will always be hiding from stress.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
One of the fish that is said to be in the parentage of Blood Parrots is the Gold Severum.
It contrasts well with the frontosa.
The WILD water parameters are different, but most tank raised fish have been in the same water for many generations and they keep breeding.

Many Well known people keep SA, CA and New Worlds in different tanks but the same EXACT water.

I have had better success with Severums, and Geophagus than Altolamprologus.
Course i hate egg/fry eaters, and that is what ALto's evolved to do.

I love Alto's, i just don't think they are the best tankmate.
It also has to be a big male Alto, a female will easily get munched by an adult frontosa.

There will always be some problem with a tankmate.
They either are more aggressive than a passive frontosa, or they are too small, or they eat frontosa eggs.

Other options are Labidochromis (electric Yellows) can't beat that yellow, but some will nip fins.
so whats better, nipping fins or eating eggs like ALto's do?
I have EY's that nipped fins, and another group that ignored the frontosa, just varies.

Here is a pic of my Alto.

·
Registered
741 Posts
i had a very aggresive beta (mpimbwe) that i moved to a tank with a blood parrot and
it killed the parrot a within 24hrs. you just never know what will happen sometime.
he was only about an inch bigger than the parrot and it was always the parrot that was chasing the fronts in the big tank so i didnt think this could happen.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I have fronts and blood parrots together for years. Awesome color combo, fronts grew to 12"+ and the largest BP was close to 10". Except the fronts change color often, they don't stay blue consistently. Same for Bps, they somehow don't stay deep orange either. The few times both groups colored up, I did't have my camera ready.

Most visitors to my house all commend how peaceful and colorful. Normally BPs get more attention as they are bit more active and comical. Only problem so far are a few local cichlid association members when they visit, they have to preach purity. Most of the time a few beer can cool that debate down.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts