Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking of putting a couple of 1.5"-3" juvenile Mpimbwe or Moba fronts with a few 1.5-3" juvenile featherfins in a 90 gallon tank. Would this work? How many unsexed would you recommend to buy to get a breeding group? I plan to have a breeding trio of fronts, but I'm not sure how many featherfins to put in for a breeding group... Any suggestions? From what I've read, frontosas swim along the bottom while the featherfins hover in the upper water column.

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
Female featherfins make fantastic food for adult frontosa.....

This sounds like a 4ft tank... depending on which featherfin, it really would be too small for both types.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Even if I keep a trio of fronts and a trio of featherfins? I thought featherfins like Ophthalmotilapia ventralis grew up to 5-6"... Why would this tank be too small? I've seen people keep more than 15 Malawi haps that grow over 6" in a 90 gallon, which are way more agressive than these tanganyikans. By the way, I thought fish release pheromones into the water that slow the growth of the fish, potentially decreasing the maximum size in a specific tank (smaller tank=slower growth rate). I know this doesn't work for all fish, but would it work in this case? Is this theory false, or is there some truth behind it?

·
Registered
656 Posts
At least a 6 foot tank is recommended for fronts or featherfins. Frontosa kept in 4 ft. tanks are prone to hurting themselves by darting into rocks, or the glass when they get scared.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay then, looks like I'm gonna have to hunt down another 6 foot tank... :?

Thanks for the quick response :D

·
Registered
318 Posts
I agree - 6' is needed. Growing them up together you might be ok in a 4' for a 6 months or so, but your fronts will be at 5-6" in a year and eventually up to 13/14". You will need a 6' very soon.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay, thanks :)

·
Registered
57 Posts
In my opinion fronts and featherfins do not mix. The fronts will kill them and even if they didn't you will never see the featherfins in all their glory.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Really? Are frontosas that agressive? I thought they were considered peaceful cichlids? If this is the case, what other fish can I put with the fronts?

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
Frigid Blue said:
Really? Are frontosas that agressive? I thought they were considered peaceful cichlids? If this is the case, what other fish can I put with the fronts?
They aren't incredibly aggressive, but they will bite whatever comes into their caves. That will kill a featherfin... if the frontosa don't attempt to eat them first. (they are afterall predators).

Fish that are ok with them, are large enough not to become meals, or shaped better.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have also seen people keep altolamps with their fronts, would this work better? I'm more interested in breeding the fronts than the altolamps.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
I've seen people keep Benthochromis tricoti with fronts, if you have access to a very large tank its worth a try. The setup I saw was an 8' 300 gallon.

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
Frigid Blue said:
I have also seen people keep altolamps with their fronts, would this work better? I'm more interested in breeding the fronts than the altolamps.
It works most of the time, but I've seen Alto's bitten in half too.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Fogelhund said:
Frigid Blue said:
It works most of the time, but I've seen Alto's bitten in half too.
I have done this and lost my kipili comp male when my large mpimbwe gib male ate him

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Okay, so it mostly depends on temperament of the actual specimen along with size of tankmates, right? What's a general rule of thumb to prevent unneccesary losses when keeping tankmates smaller than the fronts? 1/3 sizeof the fronts? 1/2 size?

·
Registered
139 Posts
I keep my Kitumba Gibbs in a 7' tank. I have also kept Ophthalmotilapia Nasutas in a 6' tank.
To see the true beauty of each fish they realy need to be in different tanks. The Gibberossa/Frontosa aren't very aggressive they just would probably stress the featherfins to death because they are a sensitve fish at times.
I have successfuly kept Phenos & Calvus in the tank with my Kitumbas, meaning that they have spawned in the tank as well as the Kitumbas.
I have not lost any calvus to my Kitumbas, but as a rule they are piscavores & if it fits even partialy in it's mouth it will. That being said my Kits are very mellow & my Calvus had lots of rock work & would take zero **** around their little house. I think if the temperments were reversed I probably would have had fatter Kitumbas & less Calvus ! Good Luck

1 - 16 of 16 Posts