Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking of putting a couple of 1.5"-3" juvenile Mpimbwe or Moba fronts with a few 1.5-3" juvenile featherfins in a 90 gallon tank. Would this work? How many unsexed would you recommend to buy to get a breeding group? I plan to have a breeding trio of fronts, but I'm not sure how many featherfins to put in for a breeding group... Any suggestions? From what I've read, frontosas swim along the bottom while the featherfins hover in the upper water column.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Even if I keep a trio of fronts and a trio of featherfins? I thought featherfins like Ophthalmotilapia ventralis grew up to 5-6"... Why would this tank be too small? I've seen people keep more than 15 Malawi haps that grow over 6" in a 90 gallon, which are way more agressive than these tanganyikans. By the way, I thought fish release pheromones into the water that slow the growth of the fish, potentially decreasing the maximum size in a specific tank (smaller tank=slower growth rate). I know this doesn't work for all fish, but would it work in this case? Is this theory false, or is there some truth behind it?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay then, looks like I'm gonna have to hunt down another 6 foot tank... :?

Thanks for the quick response :D

·
Registered
318 Posts
I agree - 6' is needed. Growing them up together you might be ok in a 4' for a 6 months or so, but your fronts will be at 5-6" in a year and eventually up to 13/14". You will need a 6' very soon.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay, thanks :)

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Really? Are frontosas that agressive? I thought they were considered peaceful cichlids? If this is the case, what other fish can I put with the fronts?

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
Frigid Blue said:
Really? Are frontosas that agressive? I thought they were considered peaceful cichlids? If this is the case, what other fish can I put with the fronts?
They aren't incredibly aggressive, but they will bite whatever comes into their caves. That will kill a featherfin... if the frontosa don't attempt to eat them first. (they are afterall predators).

Fish that are ok with them, are large enough not to become meals, or shaped better.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have also seen people keep altolamps with their fronts, would this work better? I'm more interested in breeding the fronts than the altolamps.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Okay, so it mostly depends on temperament of the actual specimen along with size of tankmates, right? What's a general rule of thumb to prevent unneccesary losses when keeping tankmates smaller than the fronts? 1/3 sizeof the fronts? 1/2 size?

·
Registered
139 Posts
I keep my Kitumba Gibbs in a 7' tank. I have also kept Ophthalmotilapia Nasutas in a 6' tank.
To see the true beauty of each fish they realy need to be in different tanks. The Gibberossa/Frontosa aren't very aggressive they just would probably stress the featherfins to death because they are a sensitve fish at times.
I have successfuly kept Phenos & Calvus in the tank with my Kitumbas, meaning that they have spawned in the tank as well as the Kitumbas.
I have not lost any calvus to my Kitumbas, but as a rule they are piscavores & if it fits even partialy in it's mouth it will. That being said my Kits are very mellow & my Calvus had lots of rock work & would take zero **** around their little house. I think if the temperments were reversed I probably would have had fatter Kitumbas & less Calvus ! Good Luck

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.