Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 55 G tank set up that originally housed a Gold Severum and BP ( i inherited the BP long before I ever knew of the bad rep.) Actually the BP we call cartoon fish, has been one of the most enjoyable fish I have ever owned! Anyway, about 2 mos ago I was looking to add some more color to the tank, anything but orange, and found these two fronts. at the LFS, I dont know alot about them, but they have done great in the tank with the other fish so far. I am currently working on getting a 75G for them, as I know they will need more room eventually. I want to keep the BP and severum with them as I dont have enough room for 3 tanks, so can you tell me if a 75G will work and would I have enough space to add one more female to the group. I have a video listed under the photo and video section of the forum for you to check them out and note the rosie barbs and tiger barbs will not be going to the larger tank. Below is a list of the water cond. in this tank, they seem to be doing well and the conditions are constant. I do a 20% water change 2x week and am on well water. Temp. stays apx. 78-79 F
PH7.6
KH-130
GH-300
Nitrate-30-40
Nitrite 0-.5
amonia-0

·
Registered
90 Posts
frontosa need a six foot tank i have kept a trio in a 4'x2'x2' before but they were much happier when i moved them into the six foot 125 gallon tank. i would not attemot to keep any adult size frontosa in a 75 gallon tank

·
Registered
139 Posts
I would not reccomend keeping Fronts with those fish you mentioned. They will eventualy be bullied by the others. They are a much more mellow fish .

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
A 55 will work as a grow-out tank (frontosas under 4 inches). A 75 won't work for much more than a 55 will. If you want to keep adults that reach 12 inches, you will need a 125 gallon at minimum and if you are keeping 5+ fish, a 180 gallon would be best.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info, I was pretty sure that would be what I was going to hear anyway!!!! Im hoping they will be fine for now in the 55 gal. I have been looking for a 125 G. for awhile now and all I seem to find are the larger tanks that are deeper, but no longer than a 75 and I know that the length is more important than the depth. Up here in Alaska it seems the largest you can get through the pet stores is a 75 gal and so *** been looking online for a used tank in good shape, but still having a hard time finding one!! I will keep looking though as I agree I think the bigger tank will be better in the long run!!! Thank you for the advise!! By the way what is your thought on keeping my severum and the BP with the fronts? I know they are totally different fish and prob. shouldnt mix them, but they all seem to do just fine with the water conditions I have and get along great!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That is a bummer!! I guess Im faced with a decission then about whether I should hang onto the fronts!! Ill keep you guys posted and thanks for all the advise!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have gotten some good suggestions on this forum regarding mixing my fronts with other species/not mixing and also doing research from other links and friends and LFS advise and honestly it is getting very confusing the mixed opionions! I currently have my 2 fronts who are about 3" in a 55 gal with my BP and severum. The BP and severum are about 3 years old and very laid back and peaceful to the fronts, they have now been together about 3 mos. I understand the reason for not mixing fish from different continents and such, but since they have all been bred in captivity with the same water peramiters, does it really matter? How will I know if they arent happy? They seem so to me right now, check out my video on the photography site. By the way the 55 is only temp. next month they will be moving to a 125 gal and I will be getting one more frontosa at that time. For now I have decided to just enjoy the fish and as long as they all seem to be healthy and happy, Im not going to change anything, if not then I will have to make the decision on my BP and severum going to another tank! Thanks for the help and will keep you posted on this unusual mix!

·
Registered
90 Posts
you need to do more reaserch when the frontosa are large they may try to eat the bp ending up bad for both fish why not put the fronts in the 125 and keep the bp and sevurm in the 55

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would love to do that!! My problem is I have 2 other tanks and a 30G. QT and Im running out of room!! I kind of inherited the BP and Severum and just grew to love them, Im just trying to figure out a way to keep them all! I think that has been the hardest thing about fish keeping, there are just too many interesting and cool fish out there, Im driving my husband crazy! LOL

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Woogie, if I do decide to just keep the BP and Severum in the 55 and get a 150G for the frontosas, would it be possible to add some blue dolphins with them?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.