Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone I'm new to this site and to keeping African cichlids, I kept wild Discus some years ago and have just bought myself another tank after a 4 year break. The question I want to ask is can a juwel bio flow internal filter handle a group of 4 2"-3" Cyphotilapia Frontosa's and if not how long until an external filter is needed, next question is how fast or slow do they grow. I've got the temp & pH bang on and cycled the tank with a convict cichlid which my local Aquarium centre has loaned me but my stock of Frontosa's arrive on wed so if I need an external filter would like to install it before they go in.

Thanks for any advice
Ben. :fish:

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
What size tank do you have?

Me personally no matter what size I prob get something else to go along with it like a larger HOB filter. That filter only produces around 158gph with will most likely not handle the mechanical end of the filtration once they are bigger. It will also help with redundancy incase one should quite while your away the other will still be going, and only have to clean one at a time makin sure you dont disrupt too much of you good bacteria.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The tank is a Juwel Rio 240 and yes a secondary filter would be better for them I'm thinking of a Fluval 305 or a Tetratec ex700 also how much flow do Frontosa's like and if anyone has any good advice on Frontosa's I would be very greatful.

Thx ben. :fish:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.