Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 240G (8') tank I've set up with a similar stocking to the 240G fmueller had set up years ago. I don't have the rock background or the plants but do have lots of river rocks of varying sizes forming lots of crevices and caves. My stocking is as follows:

8 WC mikula gibberosa (3-3.5 inches)
6 red fin altolamprologus
5 julidichromis marlieri
5 synodontis petricola (2.5-3 inches)

Right now the fronts (gibbs) are small enough to get into most caves but they're also not much of a threat to the the other fish. As they get bigger they will become more of a threat but will also no longer fit into the caves and crevices. I realize that some of the altos and julis may become snacks over time. My worry is that if the fronts try to eat the petricolas, they'll choke and die themselves.

I know the usual advice is not to keep petricolas with fronts but am wondering if anyone who has tried it (perhaps fmueller?) can weigh in. I'm not too concerned about impact on breeding.

·
Super Moderator
40,520 Posts
I think it is more don't keep altolamps and julidochromis with petricola (lucipinnis) but will let others chime in about fronts eating them.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DJRansome said:
I think it is more don't keep altolamps and julidochromis with petricola (lucipinnis) but will let others chime in about fronts eating them.
Why would you not keep altolamps and julies with petricolas?

·
Super Moderator
40,520 Posts
Some fishkeepers prefer not to keep synodontis with any rock dwellers...disruptive to their natural behavior. Not a problem for you since you don't mind if they get eaten.

·
2,088 Posts
For a long time, I kept Fronts and Multipunctatus without issue. Not sure I'd attempt it with Petricola/lucipinnus as the size difference in the cats is significant.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the responses.

No sooner did I start this thread and one of the Fronts ate a small Julie. I actually do mind that they get eaten. I had done my research on another forum that's dedicated to cyphos and a number of people talked about keeping all these fish together successfully. Plus fmueller's website seemed to suggest that it could work.

It won't be fun catching fish in an 8 foot tank but I'm going to have to pull the Petricolas. There isn't a huge size difference right now, but there will be and I definitely don't want to lose a Front, along with a Petricola. It seems that if anything can work it's probably the Altolamps. The Fronts totally ignore them, except one, which seems to think it's a Front and swims back and forth across the length of the tank with them.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just came across an old thread (from 2010) in another cypho-dedicated forum where a couple of members talk about how they've kept Petricolas with Fronts for years and actually find it works better than keeping Fronts with Multis. Nodima, someone with the same handle as you even asked a couple of questions in the thread. The person added 20 Petricolas to a tank with adult Mobas!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts