Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys i need help bad! i have an empty 125 which is just getting set up! im going to be filtering it with one marineland C-360 and two emp 400's and i want frontosas really bad! but some of the trophes species are awesome! like morri and dubosi!!! so do what other nice tanginikans will go good with frontosas? i heard the calvus to its calm temperment and defensive behaviour!! But is there any way i could keep the frontosas with any of the dubosi or morri's?? :-? :-?

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
Tropheus and Cy. frontosa are typically not very good tankmates. Their behaviour and activity level are conflicting. In addition, their dietary requirements are completely different, though with some pellets, that is less of a concern. I wouldn't recommend mixing them though.

Mixing Tanganyikans with frontosa can be difficult. At 12" +, fronts have the capacity to eat most other Tangs, and inflict quite a bit of damage if they just bite them. Altolamprologus sometimes make good tankmates, but if you start out with small ones, they grow much slower than frontosa, and could become food. Adult Alto's are the better bet, though I've seen them get bitten in half by angry frontosa as well.

It seems that the best success with mixing with frontosa is larger, not super aggressive Malawian Haplochromines, or ideally just a nice tank with frontosa.

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
A. Calvus (already mentioned) and cloan loaches.

I've heard it said many times: "the best tankmate for a frontosa is... a frontosa."

Russ

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
WOW thanks then! i guess theres a new tank in mind! i guess this 125 will be just frontosas! and then next morri's or dubosi's!

thanks!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts