Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
2,088 Posts
Frontosa generally do better in groups than solo.

·
Registered
175 Posts
How about Red Empress?

·
Registered
175 Posts
humsuplou said:
How about Red Empress?
I am upgrading to a 150g (6ft) tank, and currently have 8 Mpimbwe **** (2.5 mths), and a pleco. Really like the size and color of Red Empress (or Super Red Empress? Are they the same?)
From what I've read, Haps are ok to be housed with fronts. Just want to hear some real life experience.
Thanks!

·
Registered
374 Posts
I've heard of people having great success with Placidochromis sp. "Phenochilus Tanzania" and Cyrtocara moorii as frontosa tankmates.

·
Registered
175 Posts
kriskm said:
I've heard of people having great success with Placidochromis sp. "Phenochilus Tanzania" and Cyrtocara moorii as frontosa tankmates.
But they both are blue, right? Im thinking since the fronts will have blue in them, will be nice to add some other color, like red :)

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I have had the electric blues, phenochilus, C. moori with frontosa, the male haps when breeding will beat down a frontosa male 5x its size.

If you don't mind seeing your alpha male get beat down, then its OK.

Frontosa are weak minded fish, they don't do well with most other cichlids when those other cichlids want to breed.

There really is no perfect tankmate, i have heard them all, and very few will work long time.

They either nip fins, eat eggs, will become a meal for the frontosa, or are more aggressive.
frontosa really should be the dominant fish in the tank.

Its really a hit and miss. sometimes it works, alot of times it does not.

If you don't have females in the tankmate, then often the male will not be as aggressive.
Or if you give him a couple other males to deal with and thus ignore the frontosa.

Say, 3-4 albino eureka reds (for the nice red color).
Albino Taiwanee reef is a bit more peaceful, than the AER or Red Empress.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts