Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello everyone! i need your suggestions for a proper frontosa tank. do you mind showing me some of your tank set up, just have an idea? i have a 200l tank and i know its small but soon ill get a bigger one my fronts will be arriving next week and i have cycled it for a month now. currently i have with natural gravel and 2 clay pots.

Is black gravel better?
Should i add plants?

Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
21 Posts
josemaria said:
hello everyone! i need your suggestions for a proper frontosa tank. do you mind showing me some of your tank set up, just have an idea? i have a 200l tank and i know its small but soon ill get a bigger one my fronts will be arriving next week and i have cycled it for a month now. currently i have with natural gravel and 2 clay pots.

Is black gravel better?
Should i add plants?

Thank you in advance!
I know I shouldn't answer a question with a question however...How many Frontosa's are you getting for your 40 gallon tank? That is a pretty small tank for Fronts!! Remember if you add Rocks and other decorations they will displace more water aswell making it even smaller.

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
In general, Frontosa in a 40 gallon tank is a mistake waiting to happen... sorry.

How big are your frontosa?

What quantity?

I have seen severe agression problems with 2.5 to 3-inch frontosa in a 40-gallon tank. Granted, it is rare for severe agression problems at that size but it can happen in a tank with a very small footprint. Hopefully your fronts are fry and you should be OK for a short time in a 40 (but only for a short time). Get that big tank sooner than later.

Just my two cents from personal experience.

Russ

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
josemaria said:

Is black gravel better?
Should i add plants?

Thank you in advance!
color is a personal choice. Some frontosa (zaire type) looks better with darker gravel, some (Mpimbwe) will darken up so much that a light color gravel is needed.

Plant is also a personal choice. But it is not needed.

If you are getting fry, a 40 gallon tank is good for grow out for about half a year. Then you should think about switching to a bigger tank say 72" long at least.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I agree with all the above. I have 10 Mobas in my 60g right now while I am getting my 150 up and running. They are about 2.5" and they are already starting to pick on each other more and more. I wouldn't keep them in a small tank if they are getting close to this size. I wouldn't have done it myself but I couldn't pass up a good deal on the Mobas locally!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the advice, im going to get a bigger tank soon. im excited to pick up my fronts tomorrow, i'll update you guys soon

1 - 6 of 6 Posts