Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 180 gallon tank with 6 Wild Mpimbwe frontosa, I am thinking of adding my 6 wild Calvus to the tank. I was going to add a ton of rocks. What does everyone think. My Big plan is when I move in a year or 2 I am going to build a tank that will 8ft long by 4ft wide and 2ft high. I want to then put some other tangs in with the 6 Calvus and 6 frontosa at that time. I have a group of about 30 cyprichromis and a small growing colony of multi's that i hope to add aswell.

So just wondering what everyone thinks of Adding my 6 approx 4inch Calvus in with my 6 approx 8inch Frontosa. Also would appreciate any ideas for tank mates once I set up the 450+ tank. ( actually doing 2- 1 tang and 1 malawi) thanks for any advice, expereince or opinions

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
Keep in mind that frontosa are predators by nature, and easily capable of eating anything up to 1/2 their size. Their diet in the wild is primarily Cyprichromis, but in the aquarium they have been known to eat just about anything. I've seen Altolamprologus work with frontosa, but I've also seen Altolamps bitten in half. For the record, wild Mpimbwe's seem to have the poorest record for eating tankmates and biting them.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Its a risk. It might work, it might not. I have WC Zaire Tembwe fronts. I tried just 6 cyps in with them. They lasted about 5 weeks. Personally I would not risk wild calvus in with fronts given their price tag.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Limnochromis staneri (if you can source some - very rare) have been suggested as possible tankmates on another forum I visit, also possibly Gnathochromis permaxillaris but I haven't tried either.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have decided to make the 8 ft long by 4 ft back by 2 ft high tanks, one is going to be tanganyika and the other malawi. I hope to add a 1 and a half foot shelf like structure near the top to help keep some cyps safe ( maybe) also going to build a rock shelf on back wall and have tons of hiding places. What does everyone think of 6 mpimbwe frontosa in that size of tank with some tankmates.

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
Building shelves, and cover is not going to stop a predator from being a predator.

I'd say more frontosa, and either the Large Tangs that Mr. Mbuna have suggested, or some large Malawian Haps.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Think I have made a final decision. Keep my Wild Frontosa in there 180, Then build my 2 tanks ( 8ft by 4ft by 2ft ) for a tang only tank and a Malawi only tank. LOL Not sure if my wife believed me for the reasoning but she said if thats what I had to do that she was fine with it lol.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts