Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The big male Enantiopus kilesa has dug his pit and is building his sand castles. He's turning the color on for the girls. One of the girls is paying extra attention to him. In addition to his gymnastics in his pit to attract her, they will cruise around the tank together in a real tight formation. I suspect she me be coming into season soon. Sure are fun fish to watch :)

As usual, hope you enjoy the pics :)

The two cruising together

The male turning on his side to attract her

·
Registered
374 Posts
Gorgeous male! I love the picture of them cruising together, a nice contrast to the aggressive male bullying his harem that you often see with cichlids.

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
shellies215 said:
That male is stunning Russ :dancing: How big is he, and what size is the tank?
Thanks guys :D

I'd guess him to be 5 to 6"

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sapir7 said:
they look awesome! i cant wait until mine get that big, i have 14 f1s at an inch and a half.
Best wishes on them. I'd love to see some pics :wink:

Russ

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The big male has really been working on his pit and sand castles

Blue dots the inner cirle and red the outer circle. The yellow dot is a volcano pit the spawning callos made and are using - there is another volcano pit on the other side (not pictured).

Males showing (callo & kilesa)

The spawning callos

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
jprime84 said:
Amazing display
jprime84: you got me thinking - that probably means I am going to get in trouble :lol: The Mods will probably have one finger on the delete key from here on. I am the OP, so, I won't mind if I go on a rabbit trail. Also, just a warning: if you are easily offended, you might want to avoid this post. I promise I won't swear or sing a rap song trying to convince you to steal a car or something worse :wink:

As a young lad, with a skull full of grey mush, I was over educated at a state university in a very secular progressive state, I loved the sciences and was a committed evolutionist. Somewhere along the line, I must have drank some bad cool aid and got a little goofy :wink: For a lot of reasons, science based and faith based, I no longer place my faith in the theory of evolution (even though it is presented as fact at every turn in our society, it is not fact and it too, requires faith to believe in (although you may have never thought of it that way, that is the truth)].

Posts on this site can talk about evolution all day long (even though it is not fact and requires an incredible amount of faith) and the mods would never consider hitting the delete key. Mention faith, quote a Bible verse and your post will enter eternity in cyber space h e l l .

So, with that double standard duly noted: My point is not to start an evolution vs creation debate - this is not the forum for that; rather, to point out the double standard and ask for fairness when hitting the delete key (regardless of you own personal bias). I think there is room for both creation and evolutionist brief "comments" in threads as long as people are respectful to each other.

The reason for this whole diatribe is jprimes comment about how amazing those circles are. I wondered, what evolutionary advantage is there to that? Stupid fish is gonna get picked off by a king fisher doing all that extra work before he ever gets a chance to breed and pass on that crazy habit. Huh? :wink: When I look at those circles, they give evidence and testify of the Creator (that gives me joy and puts a smile on my face) and I want to share that. Yet, I am made afraid to do so because the only faith based system allowed on this forum is evolution.

The "short" comment that I would have left would have been this....

Romans 1:20 said:
For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse.
For anyone interested in the context of that verse, please read Romans 1: 18-25

That's all, I'll back off and I promise not to take offense if somebody respectfully disagrees with me - I welcome it.

Sincerely,
Russ

·
Registered
318 Posts
I'm with you 100% Razzo, and I'm a Biology teacher - higher level IB.
The more I know, the less I believe that evolution is the answer, religion aside, it just doesn't add up. Most, if not all changes brought about by natural selection decrease the genome, whereas an increase in the genome is what would be required to fully explain evolution from simple to more complex organisms. Change over time within a kind by evolution is fine i.e. fish becoming other forms of fish and adapting to their environment - Lake Tanganyika itself is testimony to this with so many endemic species, but it just doesn't account for molecules to man evolution where a massive increase in the genome is required - it just doesn't happen (or if it does, there is no real evidence of such mutations happening to support it. If you disagree, well I'm waiting to hear your examples). But as you say, this is probably not the right forum for this and this thread will probably be closed.
The quote you gave, I have on my website. It says it all.

·
Registered
58 Posts
sorry about the crappy pics man, i used my iphone.
these little guys are cute tho
note the sponge filter you recommended to me a while back :thumb:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts