Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, it begins. Wake up 0500, turn on Kurig. Hmmm, what is that grinding noise I hear coming from the living room. Go into living room to find about 15 gallons of water on the floor. The 55 Gallon sprung a leak in the middle of the night. Thank God for ceramic tile. At first, I thought it was the Aqua Clear 70, no such luck. This was a seven year old Marineland 55 gallon. In 30 years of raising African Cichlids, I have never had a leak. Needless to say, I used a bucket to catch water. Filled an old 30 gallon with aquarium water and the caves from the 55 and moved all the Cichlids. Purchased a new 55 gallon at Petco at 0900. $67.00 out the door. Lucky again, 50% off sale.

Thankfully, I was able to keep 30 gallons of the aquarium water in Home Depot Buckets. Filled the new tank, transferred the Aqua Clear 70 and Seachem Tidal 75 and put all the fish in. We are just at 24 hours since I put everything back together and no dead fish. I believe, I may lose two before it's over, but so far, so good.

After emptying the old 55, I noticed the seal in the front center was coming lose. May attempt a reseal and set up my first salt water aquarium.

Happy all is well.

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
Sounds like everything went well after the initial shock.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I didn't realize how may babies I had until I took everything out of the tank. They seem to be doing great as well.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Count your lucky stars because it could have been much worse, like wet carpet. My friend Tommy bought a 220 gallon tank brand new and it sprung a major leak at 4 weeks later, and that also resulted in a major fish casualty. Good luck going forward.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts