Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got an old 29g from a co worker today with a sweet vintage stand that was purchased in the 70s. Stand is iron and holds 2 29s. I'm going to paint the stand but my question is about the seal. The silicon on the inside of tank is hardly visible, and I want to redo it. Is there a silicon I could vuy that's cheaper then the stuff they sell at the lfs? Also how would I go about sealing it? My plan is to scrape the bottom and halfway up the sides and seal just the bottom. Let it cure then finish the rest. Is there an easier way to do this? Could I just do it all at once? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
705 Posts
id do a lot more research first. probably dont need to reseal it unless u really wanted to. some stores will reseal tanks for you.. (depends on the shop. but any that build tanks) gl in the process. *** thought about trying it myself but for some reason never do.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Anthraxx8500 said:
id do a lot more research first. probably dont need to reseal it unless u really wanted to. some stores will reseal tanks for you.. (depends on the shop. but any that build tanks) gl in the process. I've thought about trying it myself but for some reason never do.
Your probably right about sealing it but just for my floors sake. Don't want to wake up to 29 gallons on the floor. Figured I paid nothing for it so resealing it would be in my best interest.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Piper said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-gS7gp-ehM
Just what I needed. Thanks Piper! :thumb: :D

·
Registered
118 Posts
Looks like you have a bunch of tanks Flippercon! LOL Addictive.....just bought a 10 gal to put my new betta in. Good luck with the new one. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yep gonna definitely reseal the tank. Just have to get some #11 xacto blades and its on. Gonna check out the home depot to price silicone. Thanks everyone on the links and suggestions.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
jkulysses said:
O and you should do a 20g long shell dweller tank for the open space at the bottom!!! :)
I actually have a 29 with multies and calvus already. This is gonna house the new one and the old one. Plus I have a 20 long coming from another co worker. Thinking of trying to do a wet dry with a refugium. Never done one and I figure why not this one? Who knows I have two extra tanks now to add to the the other 15.

·
Registered
355 Posts
15!! Most I ever had going at once was 10 and people either looked at me weird or were mesmerized lol. I think it's one of those hobbies you either get or you don't. I get even weirder looks when I try to explain to people why all their fish died a week after they put them in the tank or the steps of the nitrifying (Spelling!) bacteria in general and the look on their face I might as well be talking in latin.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
jkulysses said:
15!! Most I ever had going at once was 10 and people either looked at me weird or were mesmerized lol. I think it's one of those hobbies you either get or you don't. I get even weirder looks when I try to explain to people why all their fish died a week after they put them in the tank or the steps of the nitrifying (Spelling!) bacteria in general and the look on their face I might as well be talking in latin.
:lol:
My mother comes over and everytime she is here a new tank pops up. She tells me she is gonna call the hoarding show and get me investigated. :lol: I get people from work that come by and say I live in a fish store. I do live in a 600 square foot apartment. 8) I tell them " just wait till I buy my house"

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oh and my 22 pound cat. Chuck Norris

·
Registered
87 Posts
Flippercon said:
Yep gonna definitely reseal the tank. Just have to get some #11 xacto blades and its on. Gonna check out the home depot to price silicone. Thanks everyone on the links and suggestions.
Home Depot has the GE clear windows and doors. They also carry the Kitchen and bath. DO NOT GET THE KITCHEN AND BATH - it's has the mildew retardant. Get the windows and doors. About $4-5 a tube. Will need a caulk gun also. Painters or masking tape. Razor scraper.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts