Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings!! This is my first post! I've been doing discus and african cichlids for some time, but only in a 55 gal, 90 gal and a 125 gallon tanks. Here's a question for anyone that wants to reply.

I spotted a large tank in a person's garage and did some investigating. Turns out to be an 8 foot 225 gallon acrylic. He had it set up as a saltwater. It is now filthy, has leaves and dirt in the bottom as well as beer cans. There are a couple scratches, but overall looks OK. Visually, the corner seams look good. There are 5 or 6 bulkhead holes right down the center of the bottom (I'm trying to picture what to do with those). I just can't picture why you'd want stand pipes right down the middle, but OK. Nothing some patches and new holes in the corner can't fix.

Here's the fun part. He wants $100 for it. Just the naked tank.

What does everyone think? Good deal? What to do about the bulkhead holes? Filtration recommendations? I plan to make it an african tank and have been a fan of the Rena filters on my other tanks. I'm thinking 2 XP3s with a couple power heads for good measure. Or should I be planning a good sized sump?

Thanks in advance for any advise ...

·
Registered
62 Posts
I would say that looks like a good deal I had a tank with a similar issue. A 125 that had holes all over the bottom of it. I just got every thing I needed to run pipes through it i.e. seals and what not and then put a small peice of pipe on and capped it off. It worked well until I sold it to a buddy who wanted to re seal it and leaked around 100 gals of water in his upstair bed room HAHA.

·
Registered
173 Posts
sounds like a great deal to me. As far as the bulk heads why not plumb your filter to them so you can stack rocks on top and that were most debris would sit I think. might make for a cleaner tank. Then at the top put your power heads for surface agitation.

·
Registered
305 Posts
buy it! figure out the bulk heads when you get it home; with a couple elbows you could run your plumbing (under your substrate) to where ever you want it.

·
Registered
211 Posts
100$ for a 225 gal acrylic. Buy that! You can easily turn around and sell it for 300

·
Registered
623 Posts
awesome deal. Just curious, are acrylic tanks all that heavy? i picture them being rather light, but i really have no idea about them.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Chunkanese said:
awesome deal. Just curious, are acrylic tanks all that heavy? i picture them being rather light, but i really have no idea about them.
Sweet deal! Take it!
No- acyclic tanks are extremely light; one of the many reasons I prefer them over glass! :D

·
Registered
741 Posts
I would take 50$ in cash say ill give it to you know and can haul it off today and see what he says?
what a cheapo. i cant stand people who makes such ridiculous offers. :roll:

$100 for an 8' acrylic tank is an awesome deal if its not a leaker.
use a wet/dry sump filtration for that bad boy. good thing is its already drilled.
buy it already.

·
Registered
62 Posts
what a cheapo. i cant stand people who makes such ridiculous offers.
+1

·
Registered
623 Posts
DanniGirl said:
Chunkanese said:
Sweet deal! Take it!
No- acyclic tanks are extremely light; one of the many reasons I prefer them over glass! :D
*** been looking for a 6ft tank but wasnt really wanting to move a 300 lb tank out next january in the ice and snow when my lease is up. Acrylic sounds great. However i have never seen one for sale! Are they rather expensive, more than glass?

·
Registered
741 Posts
fogelhund,
can the seams be fixed with weld-on if its a leaker?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Cheapo? obviously the guy doesnt care about it too much leaving it in the garage all nasty! so yes id offer him 50$... so let me guess are yall the type of people who go to buy a car and say" why yes ill pay whatever you say"? aslong as it sounds like a "good deal"! LEMON!

·
Registered
62 Posts
jeremypb said:
Cheapo? obviously the guy doesnt care about it too much leaving it in the garage all nasty! so yes id offer him 50$... so let me guess are yall the type of people who go to buy a car and say" why yes ill pay whatever you say"? aslong as it sounds like a "good deal"! LEMON!
I feel like are car is different. If buying from a private seller a vehicle is usually priced to sell. If it's a dealership they are priced for hoping someone like you speak of. I just hate it because I built a stand up jetski a few years ago, the only one of its kind. I was selling for the price of the motor the hull just came with it and had some extras and people would call me and offer me $1500 less than my asking price. I made me so mad I just decided not to sell it. Offering $50 might work but at the same time he could be insulted and kick you outta his garage witrh no sale at all. As you said he doesn't care that much about it so he might not need to get rid of it that badly.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
can the seams be fixed with weld-on if its a leaker?
They can probably be repaired, but the method depends on the extent of the damage that's causing the leak. If the seams are clear like glass, then that's a good sign. If you see a lot of hazy areas, not a good sign.

Look for extensive 'crazing' (tiny cracks) along the surfaces.

Scratches can usually be buffed out if they're not too deep. They can still be buffed out if deep, but not without ending up with optical distortion.

At $100, that's a good price even if it needs some repair. I've seen brand new about that size listed for $2000.

The weight of acrylic is about half that of glass. I moved a 180 around by myself, so with the right dolly, you can probably do the same with this one.

I'd offer him $50 as is, beer cans and all, or $100 to be paid only after fillling it and checking it out. There's nothing wrong with that offer, as it may be worthless. You're taking a chance.

Don't plug the holes. You'll only devalue it. Fix it up and sell it. A reef tank guy will know and appreciate it's value.

Just my .02

·
Registered
69 Posts
Deisel10- I can respect that answer and I know what you mean about people offing way less that what you expect but personally I think it just depends on the situation cause honestly I'm not a cheapo I'm just assuming since it's full of leaves and beer cans you could go from a good deal to a steal! But I do understand that about him not wanting to sell it at all be insulted

·
Registered
62 Posts
jeremypb said:
Deisel10- I can respect that answer and I know what you mean about people offing way less that what you expect but personally I think it just depends on the situation cause honestly I'm not a cheapo I'm just assuming since it's full of leaves and beer cans you could go from a good deal to a steal! But I do understand that about him not wanting to sell it at all be insulted
Hey man I didn't say it first I just agreed, But at the same time I get where you guys are coming from with an offer of $50. If he did let it go for that it would be awesome. I've just had some pretty freaky experiences at people's houses trying to make a fair offer not even low ball. So with me if it's a pretty good deal I don't push my luck.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts