Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so i bought 7 gold rams and some drift wood from a lfs and now 2 days later *** found ick on 2 of the of the fish, from my research it says that i shouldnt use chemicals, i know in the wild that the temp can raise the water temp to high 80's so raising the temp wouldnt hurt them i was wandering how much salt should i add and how high should i get the temp. up 2? any help is greatly appreciated
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Bluenose,

Hopefully this will be of some help. I recently had a bad outbreak of ich in a batch of Electric Blues and lost 30 out of 40 before I found something that worked. I tried everything including Coppersafe and Ich Out. Nothing was very effective, but this is what worked for me when all else failed. Sometimes, simpler is better!

First, I would recommend moving the fish to a bare aquarium. The reason I suggested a bare tank is that salt may be fatal to the plants in your tank. Also, the free-swimming form of the parasite may be able to survive in the gravel for longer periods of time. Raise the temperature in the tank to 86 degrees. Most experts agree that the parasite cannot live at temperatures above 84 degrees. By raising the temp to 86, this hastens the life cycle of the ich and makes it easier (and faster) to kill. You can also add 1 rounded tablespoon of aquarium salt per 5 gallons of water. I would suggest leaving the temp at 86 for at least two weeks. That should allow enough time for all of the parasites to die.

If you have badly infected fish, you might also try a saltwater bath. You can prepare a solution of 4 teaspoons of aquarium salt per gallon of water (at the same temp as the aquarium). I used one of those small plastic "critter cages" approx. 1 gallon in size. Place the fish in the bath for no longer than 30 minutes. Due to osmotic pressure, you can actually watch the parasites fall off the fish to the bottom of the container. I then carefully netted them out with a larger mesh net and gently swished them back and forth of the bath to knock off any other loose parasites. Return them back to your hospital tank and treat as described above.

Remember to disinfect your nets after use. One more thing. Higher temps also reduce the amount of oxygen in the water. Make sure your filter is working properly and increase air flow if possible. Again, I used an well-cycled sponge filter in mine.

I hope this helps and good luck!
 
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Top