Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is the first time i've raised this species - so I have a couple of quick questions....

All 13 are in a 90 gallon with 2 compressiseps and 1 syno eupterus. Do you think I can keep them in there for another 6 months or so until I upgrade to a larger tank? Largest one is quickly approaching 4"...

I was thinking maybe getting a 180 gallon or so, and putting some phenochichlis (forgive the spelling), a strawberry peacock or two, and perhaps some champsochromis. I was also consider throwing in some labidochromis perlmutt and/or yellow labs - even though the small ones might become a snack down the road... I will probably keep around 8 of the fossies (does 3M 5F or 2M 6F sound ok?)

One of the fosso's is starting to color up already I think - blue sheen around the caudal fin, subtle bronze scaling on body/ face - what size do they start to breed at? I could have sworn I saw him displaying the other morning, but I could be imagining things.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
We have 4 f. rostratus in a 210.

Two males are fully matured and 12" the others are growing out. That is a lot bigger than it sounds. They fight whenever the other shows color. Like mini tsunamis in the tank. Just made arrangements with Rare Side in Kings Park to place one in his Show Tank.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's awesome. I would love to see pics. Are those males done growing or do you think they'll put some more inches on them?

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I'll see if I can post a pic, one of our daughters is the photographer and uploads pics for us. Not sure if they are still growing or not, they are definately getting larger but not so much in length. They need a long tank for certain.

Our mature males are a little over two years in our tank and we got them just under two inches so I would say they are going on three years old. Funny thing, one of them stayed silver for 12 months or so stopped growing at around 8-9" and had rounded fins causing us to believe it was a she. Then out of the blue while our venustus were spawning he colored right up. Then came a growth spurt and he put on 2-3" in like 4-6 weeks. At times we can't tell them apart now.

When the one colors up, tensions go wild and things get knocked over in there. We are growing out two more now at around 4" and hope for girls. They make the tank into a Snow Globe sifting all day long keeping the mbuna busy digging out all the time :lol:

Enjoy them :thumb:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts