Can I feed white worms to my occelatus?
All they get now is NLS.

What else can I feed them?

Thanks.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
All they get now is NLS.
You make it sound like you feel they're not getting all they need from NLS. They're carnivores, so you can feed them lots of different things, but really don't need to. At least that's been my experience.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, Thanks for reply.

Yea, it sounds like that :) lol,I did not mean to ask that way...
I read in different articles that hobbyist feed their fish with variety of food, so before I offer anything to my fish, I always ask around.

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
40,492 Posts
If you read the ingredients, you will see that NLS has the variety built in. :thumb:

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
I read in different articles that hobbyist feed their fish with variety of food
That idea goes back to the day when prepared foods weren't so hot. Just find a good quality prepared food and they'll do great.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I agree that NLS is the best pellet food out there, however I have noticed the addition of krill or mysis shrimp seems to trigger spawning for me.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
I have noticed the addition of krill or mysis shrimp seems to trigger spawning for me.
That depends on the fish, of course. My tanganyikans spawn on NLS alone, and krill is the number one or two ingredient in all the types of NLS that I have.

What fish does that work for for you? What have been your specific experiences?

·
Registered
219 Posts
My melegrise (pearly occelatus) eat anything I put in the tank. Their staple is NLS pellets. I feed them other things more for my benefit than theirs I think. I just enjoy watching them eat different stuff :D For example, white worms, blood worms, mysis, mosquito larva, flakes. I'm no expert, but I agree that NLS or another high quality product is probably all that's needed.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Variety is definitely more for my sake. I enjoy watching how all my fish feed differently.

I'm currently doing frozen brine shrimp, frozen blood worms, and pellets for my pearly occelatus. I have some Ken's flake coming that has brine shrimp as the main protein source so I can stop buying the more expensive frozen stuff and just save that for a treat (I usually spoon just a few in at a time so it is more of an involved process which is fun).

My mbuna go absolutely nuts for crisps. Several of them attempt to horde the crisps in their mouth and then they get run down by other fish and their crisps get stolen. Its like fish bumper cars.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts