Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I purchased these as foai sibwesa from bluechipaquatics when they were 2". Do you guys think they look like the sibwesa variant? Any input is appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Both males look identical, but the angle I captured them at while taking the pics makes them look a little different.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Good looking foai for sure!!Like Furcifer158 said probably Moliro or could even be Kachese.I would send the pics to Chip b/c you did not get what you paid for.More than likely it was a honest mistake or they could of came in mislabeled from his supplier which would be impossible to tell when small.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just as I suspected. I'm also leaning towards moliro. They are still very nice, but I am a little disappointed as I raised these since they were 1.5 - 2" only to learn they aren't the variant I really wanted and paid for.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Here is my foai sibwesa - back when I had them. One of the few fish I sold that I now regret. They spawned but really held poorly.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hmm...i really don't know anymore....my males look so much like the male in punman's pic also depending on angle and lighting in the room. :-?

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
I'd be certain before I went back to the dealer to complain. He's been in the business for a long time and has a good reputation. I can feel for you though. I bought foai sibwesa from a guy and now they're coloring up with gold heads, so obviously not. They'll be nice fish, but I spent a lot of time deciding on what I wanted only to get something else. In the future, I'll only buy if I can see pics of the parents.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Ok I had the same problem. I didnt do a bad review because he's very well respected and a good dealer. Mistakes happen. I to got some sebwesa from him and they turned out to be furcifer

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
How do you post a pic up?
See how to post a pic here.

To confuse things further there are even some now showing up in the hobby that seem to be between foai and furcifer. They have both the dark dorsal and gold heads. Mine have the gold heads, and some color in the dorsals. Hard to tell yet what they'll turn out to be. The frustrating part for me is if I raise and try to sell fry. What do I call them as they're certainly not what they were sold as. It can really devalue a fish. Like I said before, never again unless I see pics of the adults. The other option is to buy breeders and get the fry and ratios you want, then move the breeders. I can't think of any other tangs off the top of my head where this is such a problem.

·
Registered
158 Posts
[/URL][/img]Thanks prove356.......This is what mine look like. And your right. It is getting more difficult for these species. I think it's more the importers fault. The one you discribe sound like kabogo blue. They have a furcifer cap but foai coloration. I'm getting another camera soon and I'll show the actual pics of mine

·
Registered
790 Posts
You know it could always be that they are hybrids from the wild as well. The lake is always evolving as we all know. :D So there colors will always be changing. I only like buying wild caught foai or furcifer persanolly, I did however just bought my first F-1's mbita but did see the parents.

·
Registered
158 Posts
You know it could always be that they are hybrids from the wild as well. The lake is always evolving as we all know. So there colors will always be changing. I only like buying wild caught foai or furcifer persanolly, I did however just bought my first F-1's mbita but did see the parents.

LOL. Could be. At least his are close. Boost just may have the right fish. Hard to tell from the lighting. Mine, when they are not displaying, look like long finned sardines with seagull poop on there heads...lol And sprinkles. I like foai more than true furcifers. If it were another Foai type I wouldnt mind. But with furcifers and Foai.........It's so hard to find a good importer now.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Myrock said:
[/URL][/img]Thanks prove356.......This is what mine look like. And your right. It is getting more difficult for these species. I think it's more the importers fault. The one you discribe sound like kabogo blue. They have a furcifer cap but foai coloration. I'm getting another camera soon and I'll show the actual pics of mine
Wow, I'm seeing what I have exactly in your pic. First time, and I've searched all over the Internet and every book I have. Is that kabogo blue? No, I see it's labeled C. furcifer 'cape kachese'. I've seen your site and photos. Very nice pics. And, I love the 'dried fish' section. Very cool. :thumb: Nice to see you contributing here. I'm sure you've got a wealth of knowledge and experience.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Like I said. I'll post pics of mine soon. Give me an hour. I'm not the most computer savy person, but I know fish. 30 years of it.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts